tangentwoman

Friday, July 14, 2006

I lost my marble

So, today was the Olympics again at work, also known as Field Day. I didn't have nearly as much success this year as last, unfortunately.

I did quite well, actually, in the bubble-blowing contest (random, I know), and our team came in second in that event. And I again led off the potato sack race with prowess, and I didn't suck at jump-roping, although there were some tumbles and outright falls by my other team members in those events.

But my most humiliating moment -- perhaps compounded further because everyone was bitching about how disproportionately old our team members were compared to other departments', so there were some expectations on me as the youngest person on the team -- was during the marble race. I'd told our captain -- the new guy at work who sent these incredibly sad, pathetic emails begging people to sign up for events, and for whom I'm a total sucker -- that I'd do a few events, and that I'd certainly suck at the marble race, but that I'd do it if he couldn't find anyone else.

The original idea was that you'd hold a plastic spoon in your mouth and balance a marble in the spoon, run up and down the field and hand off to your teammates. And there was outrage because they had only one spoon per team, and, ew, gross, I don't want to share a spoon with my boss, so they changed it to holding the spoon in your hand. Which wasn't great for me, because I don't have the steadiest hand.

I was the second of five legs in the race. I made it all the way to the other end of the field and about halfway back again when I dropped the marble. Worse, I then lost the marble in the grass. Worse, my boss and like five other people rushed the field to help me comb through the grass. Somehow, we came in second-to-last, because the people next to us had the same issue with the dropping and losing the marble. But it was fairly humiliating, and I think it was the start of our downfall. It was a sad, sad day.

We won the "best team spirit/creativity" award, which pretty much felt like the spirit award I won as the worst player on the JV tennis team in ninth grade, but it was good to get something. But I may have to be out sick or something next year, because I'm not sure I can recover from this one.

1 Comments:

  • I think they need to add deck hockey to the day's events so that you may dominate. ;)

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home