tangentwoman

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

PSA for the day

Following my week in the sun (actually, five days of clouds and interim rain, and only two days or so of consistent sunshine), I visited my dermatologist's office this morning. I hadn't been in about four years or so, but I felt a little irritated that I was no longer in their computer system -- "You must already be on microfilm," the receptionist told me. The last time I was there was for a mysterious red spot on my nose that just as mysteriously disappeared about six months later. (It was diagnosed as a Spider Angiomata, although my Googling of that term turns up a lot of associations with cirrhosis of the liver, which I don't have. Anyway.)

But back I went today, not because of a spot, or because of the disgusting pimples that popped up during my vacation -- probably a combination of pool water, ocean water, tons of sunscreen, and hot, muggy weather -- but for an overall check because, a couple months ago, my sister had a melanoma removed. My sister is obsessive about covering up in the sun and slopping on the sunscreen -- she's even pastier than I am -- so her dermatologist said that we likely have a genetic predisposition, and that all of us oughta get checked out, just to be safe.

So I scheduled my appointment with the physician assistant, whose schedule was much more open than the M.D.'s, and I absolutely loved her. She explained everything she was doing; she asked how my sister’s doing (just fine, by the way – all clear at her follow-up appointment); she gave me a list of the best sunscreens to use, including some that aren’t approved in the U.S. but are available over the internet; she told me to make sure my dentist, gynecologist and even my hairdresser all know about our family history so they can be on alert for anything suspicious.

I got a clean bill of health, although I need to go back every six months or so. I have a couple of spots that I need to keep an eye on, so they took some photos so they can track whether they’re growing or changing.

So here’s my PSA: Go get checked, just in case. And, as Baz Luhrmann’s voice reminded me incessantly in 1999, Always wear sunscreen (preferably with an ingredient called Helioplex, I’m told).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home