tangentwoman

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A guest entry from my page-a-day calendar

I'm as much of a stickler for the rules as anyone, but on this one I agree that there need to be some exceptions:

ending a sentence with a preposition
The prohibition against ending a sentence with a preposition is a fine example of an artificial "rule" that ignores standard usage. The famous witticism usually attributed to Winston Churchill makes the point well: "This is the sort of English up with which I cannot put."

2 Comments:

  • Allow me to speak on behalf of the rest of the stupid people when I say...

    "Ummm, who are you talking to?"

    (For the really stupid... I tried to think of a sentence that ended in a preposition... I think I failed.)

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 8:28 AM  

  • I thought the quote was, "this is pendantic nonsense up with which I shall not put."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home