tangentwoman

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

So much to do...

...but instead of my mile-long To Do list at work, I need to take a little blogging break. I need to write a Golden Globes entry, but that might need to wait until I cross a couple more things off my list here. In the meantime:

-- Have I mentioned how I absolutely hate when people use "in lieu of" when they mean "in light of"? It's like fingernails on a blackboard, even worse than "impact" as a verb or "nauseous" when the person means "nauseated." Oy.

-- On a related note, Minnams gave me a page-a-day calendar that's all about commonly misused words. I normally don't love page-a-days, but this year I ended up with two (my sister gave me an Onion one that I keep at home; the Smelmooo loves it -- 365 variations on the same joke! he would say), but this one I just love. Yesterday, I learned that, in Britain, to "table" something means to put it ON the table for discussion. Which is an important thing to know, and not something that was covered in my "separated by a common language" chapter during my study abroad in England. We did, however, learn that to "knock someone up" means to knock on the door in the morning to awaken that person.

-- A rare case of humor from the local television news desk: One anchor talked about how K-Fed is doing the Superbowl ad for the insurance company that used Fabio in earlier ads, and the other said, "You know, putting K-Fed and Fabio in the same category just seems unfair," to which the other said, "To....Fabio?" To which the other nodded solemnly.

-- I'm excited because I just got permission to do a blog for work. I know, I know, I'm such a nerd, but it's so much easier and more fun to blog than to do a formal report after doing a bunch of meetings. One of my co-workers told me he'll even add it to his RSS feed, and even if he's lying, it was a nice sentiment.

-- On the new season of 24: I hate, hate, hate Wayne Palmer as president, and wonder if his fellow Americans are as disappointed in how he's (not) measuring up to his brother as I am. I also was surprised to see Kumar on the show, although it took me until almost then end of the fourth hour to realize that he wasn't supposed to be playing a high school kid, but was probably the tutor or something of the high-school kid neighbor. But until then, I was really annoyed by the casting, because he's way too old to be in high school. Anyway.

Okay, I can't resist: a couple of thoughts on the Golden Globes, because they're already overdue:

-- First, I just love America Ferrera, and I was so happy that she and the show both won. I thought she looked beautiful and happy, the opposite of Vanessa Williams, who just looked bat-crazy.

-- I am clearly in the minority here, but I have to disagree with all of the buzz about Angelina looking miserable and acting bitchy. I thought she was sort of hanging back intentionally and letting Brad have his moment in the sun, since it was his movie that was nominated, and she was understandably not so jazzed to have the E! reporter shoving the microphone in her face when it was Brad's big night. But I thought she was polite, and she was smiling and hugging everyone at the table when Babel won, so what is up with everyone?

-- Ben and Jen so rarely walk the red carpet together, and even though I'm not a huge Affleck fan, I was happy to see them together, and they were probably relieved that Brangelina was there to take the attention off of them.

-- I'm with Minnams in that I don't understand the whole "Justin Timberlake is so sexy!" business, but I did kind of like him when he did his acceptance on behalf of Prince. And I do have to go with the Team Timberlake t-shirt in this breakup, because Cameron seems like a total nutbar.

-- My Salma. Why, why, why? You are so freaking beautiful. Like, I would do you in a second. Why, then, with the messy hair and the unflattering dress? You are still, at your worst, a thousand times more beautiful than 99 percent of the world, but still -- you usually rock it, so I was saddened to see you in that state.

-- My Reese. I didn't initially like the dress or the hair, but they sort of grew on me. But it was so strange that she was at the old guys' table. I mean, I know she's a big star and all, but at the table with Eastwood and Nicholson? It seemed like they did the whole seating chart, and then they were like, "CRAP! Reese Witherspoon!! We totally forgot -- where the hell can we put her?" and then tacked her on wherever there was room. Poor Reese.

All righty; that was an enjoyable distraction. Back to work now.

2 Comments:

  • Ah, so much to say. I'm in total agreement on just about all of your Golden Globe sentiments however I think Salma could look good in a potato sack.
    -S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 PM  

  • Well put, I agree. A couple of additions (yes here comes my true bitchy side)...I wasn't sad, maybe in fact a little happy perhaps, that Beyonce didn't win. Oh and I heard one review of Justin Timberlake's movie that basically tore him apart. :)
    Leslie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home