tangentwoman

Monday, February 26, 2007

'70s music explosion!

So, after seeing an infomercial while we were in the Dominican Republic, the Smelmooo ordered us the Time Life '70s Music Explosion, which is awesome. I'm happily bopping along as I work on some writing projects at work today, and the Sunshine disc is nice and mellow (Escape is next in the queue; it looks a little more rambunctious).

Anyway, the song "Julie, Do You Love Me" by Bobby Sherman just came on, and I realized I've never actually heard the real song (which goes, "Julie, Julie, Julie, do you love me? Julie, Julie, Julie, do you care?"); instead, I grew up with my family singing, "Louie, Louie, Louie, do you love me?"

This goes back to my parents' "how we met story," which goes like this: Mom and Dad are at a college dance; Dad approaches Mom to bum a cigarette and/or to dance (they don't agree on this point); music is loud and even back then, Dad is a little hard of hearing; he asks her name; she says, "Millie," and he hears, "Louie."

Every once in a while, he calls her Louie as a joke, and somehow we kids picked up on this and thought it was the funniest thing ever. I don't know who started with the "Louie, Louie, Louie" song, but it really caught on in the Tangent household -- I have vivid memories of us all dancing around the kitchen while singing that song.

This was when I was probably seven or eight, shortly after my oldest sister taught me how to make omelets. I was obsessed with cooking for everyone on the weekends, so I opened "Louie's Diner" in our kitchen. My other sister and I made up a whole song and dance routine about the diner; we still remember it, and occasionally bust out with it in the middle of a conversation (only with each other, I promise): "Come to Louie's for a really good time / The cost isn't even one red dime! / Come to Louie's and bring your wife / You'll have the best time of your life!"

There's more, but I think I've already revealed too much. We were so, so weird. No wonder I'm so socially awkward.

4 Comments:

  • and before anyone goes... Holy Shit.. the Smelmooo paid that much for such a collection... I got it MUCH cheaper on ebay... brand new... never been opened...

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 5:42 PM  

  • I do hope next time you entertain, you'll bust out the song and dance routine!

    By Blogger seth, at 7:55 AM  

  • Come to Louie's; get the runs/
    Isn't botulism so much fun?/
    Try the omelets; try the hash/
    It'll pass right through you in a flash/
    So come to Louies; use the loo/
    wet and leaky, you will poo/
    You've been told; you've been warned/
    I'm really hoping for tort reform!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:56 PM  

  • Have amazing collection of 70s music explosion CDs which bought from Time Life store.....!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home