tangentwoman

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Splitting hairs

So I've been hearing a lot about this poll finding that women prefer plasma TVs to diamonds. And my first thought was that's insane, and no way would I want a plasma TV over diamond jewelry. But then I thought about it being all about how the question was worded.

I initially inferred that the question was, "What would you prefer to receive as a gift?" but I don't think it was worded that way (if anyone can find the actual survey instrument, please let me know, and I'll love you forever). And my answer would totally depend on how the question was asked. I would definitely prefer to buy myself a plasma TV than a diamond necklace; I might even prefer to have a plasma TV than to have a diamond necklace. But to receive as a gift from my spouse? Definitely diamonds.

This is the kind of stuff that drives the Smelmooo crazy about me, this not being able to answer a question without first asking half a dozen clarifying questions to address all of my "it depends..." scenarios.

2 Comments:

  • I think that's all part of being a woman. I'm all about shades of grey. I'm with you all the way though. Gift = diamonds. If you want me to get practical about spending my own money, the TV will win.

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:52 AM  

  • I would so rather have the plasma screen TV. Hell, there are a hundred things I'd rather have before diamonds. I'm just not a diamond/jewellery person.

    By Blogger hyb, at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home