tangentwoman

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Peas, peas, they're good for the heart!

I don't know where they've been all my life, but I have lately been LOVING me my snow peas/sugar snap peas. Like, to the point where I might have a problem. At the party for my goddaughter's first Communion, I ate about 30 of them off the veggie platter; they were gone before half the guests showed up. I had three servings with my dinner last night.

I just think they might the world's most perfect food.

They're versatile: I enjoy them raw, but their firmness and crunchiness holds up beautifully in a stir-fry, better than most other veggies.

They're simple: wash and go; no peeling or chopping, no chasing them around on a plate with a fork like peas-not-in-a-pod, no getting a big messy face like from corn-on-the-cob.

They're delicious: not too bitter, not too sweet, not too bland, not too salty unless I make them that way when I cook 'em up.

I could probably write a lengthier -- and perhaps more passionate -- tribute to ice cream as the perfect food, but I must there concede the points of calorie and fat content, along with potential for headache and backache from overly vigorous consumption.

So, for now, the snow peas are my drug of choice, which is not the worst thing in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home