tangentwoman

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz Season

I guess I succumbed to the marketing of this movie as another glorious effort in the vein of Spellbound and the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (which I haven't seen, but which I heard is a play that's almost as good as Avenue Q), and it's my own fault for that, but what was up with Bee Season? Did anyone see this movie and actually understand it?

I mean, I get the components, generally. I get why the son runs off to be a Hare Krishna with Kate Bosworth. I get the daughter, and I like her, and I feel for her. I mostly get Richard Gere's character. I don't get the mother at all, and, as the Smelmooo pointed out, I'd rather her storyline be that she's having an affair or something, because her actual story makes my head hurt, and the visuals made me dizzy and nauseated, so maybe that's why I don't get it. Maybe I just need to read the book that inspired the movie? I don't know. Any insight would be appreciated, but please don't watch this movie just for me.

On another note, I keep imagining movie-endings to real-life events (not my own -- events related to public figures). Like, when Matt Lauer interviewed Lindsay Lohan a few weeks ago, and asked about the drug use and eating disorder stuff that came up in her Vanity Fair interview. In real life, Lindsay brushed it off and basically said, "Oh, no, I'm good. Everything's fine; I'm good."

But in my movie-ending, she starts sniffling, quietly at first, and then just breaks down, mascara running down her face, then sobbing, barely able to get the words out that she needs help, that she's so glad Matt brought it up so she doesn't have to go through it alone anymore. She then goes straight to Promises, where she meets the smart-alecky, non-famous, good-hearted relative of a fellow patient, and they fall in love and move to Montana and live happily ever after.

See? That's a movie I would get.

4 Comments:

  • She failed to mention that we watched Bee Season... not too long after watching.. The Ringer... the one where Johnny Knoxville pretends to be a retard... and yes... that movie is FAR MORE ENTERTAINING than Bee Season... That's right... I said he is pretending to be a retard.... Nice...

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 9:10 AM  

  • 11-year-old Eliza Naumann comes from an odd family; they all divert their emotional frustrations into secret channels. When Eliza unexpectedly begins winning spelling bees, what had been a stable dynamic within the family becomes disrupted; long held secrets emerge, and a latent spiritual yearning is awakened in her withdrawn father Saul and compulsive mother Miriam. As Eliza moves closer and closer to the national spelling bee, the Naumann family finds itself in a spiral of surprising discovery and jarring uncertainty...

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 9:17 AM  

  • I get the sneaking suspicion that YOU would run off to be a Hare Krishna with Kate Bosworth.

    -S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:52 AM  

  • I wish I knew you wanted to read it, though I don't necesarily recommend it. I bought Bee Season and was so unimpressed by it (though I've heard that critics raved about it)it went away with our garage sale. From your description, sounds like the movie stayed somewhat true to the book.

    - Leslie :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home