tangentwoman

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Ahhhhh....the long weekend....

I wish that every weekend in the summer were three days long; it just brings me so much joy, and I firmly believe I could be as productive in four work days as five if the promise of three days of unmitigated bliss lay before me.

Okay, maybe "unmitigated" is an overstatement -- there's the laundry and the weeding and the picking up dog poop -- but even those mundane and annoying tasks are more enjoyable on a long weekend.

I've been making lots of desserts for weekend barbecues, for which our friends have told us basically to bring dessert, some lawn chairs, extra beer if we feel like it, ourselves and Tucker. I adore being assigned dessert, and as a hostess I should probably do more assigning of dessert to our guests, but it's the only thing I'm really consistently good at, other than omelets, so unless I'm hosting a brunch -- which I've never done, but should -- or cooking for hungover sleepover guests (which I have done, to great appreciation), that last one doesn't come in terribly handy.

But it's nice to have the time to do this stuff: to bake cookies and take multiple trips to Home Depot and do yard work and take walks with our dog and have picnics and go to barbecues and watch really bad TV (the Smelmooo has called dibs on writing about this one absurd show we watched last night and then Ti-Fauxed so we could watch the outcome this morning...we're so pathetic).

I've spent a lot of Memorial Day weekends, or parts of them, at the Jersey Shore. My high school friend Jen and I used to go down to Point Pleasant first thing Saturday morning and read trashy magazines and eat really bad food and listen to really cheesy music. And, more recently, I've enjoyed visiting the boardwalk festivities in Bradley Beach, near my parents' place, where on Memorial Day they set up several blocks of tents and booths, one of which sells the yummiest fudge in the universe, and several of which sell fried Oreos and fried Twinkies and junk.

I love the Jersey Shore, and there's something perfect about kicking off the summer there, but right now, there's nothing more perfect to me than spending the weekend closer to home, being with my guys and seeing some good friends and having the time and space to enjoy it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home