tangentwoman

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Unexpected sympathy

I never thought I'd say this (maybe I'm still feeling generous because of the haircut?), but will y'all please give poor Britney Spears a break?

I know, I know: she's made really poor choices; she continues to make really poor choices; she should have to live with the consequences of making really poor choices so publicly. There's no excuse for marrying such a sleazy guy who apparently has super-sperm, and then acting all surprised and woe-is-me, The Victim, when you find yourself pregnant again so soon after the birth of your first kid, and I don't feel particularly sorry for you for that.

But really? All of this, "Britney's a bad mom!" stuff is really way over the top. I guess it's sort of a foregone conclusion that K-Fed's a bad dad, but really, when the kid fell out of the high chair while the nanny was watching him, no one blamed Kevin for it -- it was all on Britney. And yes, it's awful that she drove with the baby on her lap -- no excuse for it, and I don't buy that whole "I had to get away from the paparazzi" business. No excuse.

BUT. Now they're just after her for every. single. thing. Things that I bet happen to most moms. Kids are squirmy; once in a while, you're going to lose your grip and nearly drop them. Sometimes, kids fall. My sister once was walking up a flight of (carpeted, luckily) stairs, toting my niece along in her baby carrier. And my sister somehow lost her grip, and the baby tumbled all the way down the steps, head over heels. My sister felt terrible; she was beating herself up over it for weeks. She didn't drop the baby because she's a bad mom, and dropping her didn't make her a bad mom. It was an accident, and so was the whole most recent near-miss with Sean Preston, I'm sure, but because of the car seat thing, everyone just jumps on Britney.

I know she chose this life for herself, and part of me wishes that more parents were in the public eye so they'd take better care of their kids (Yeah, I'm talking about you, mom in the SUV at the gas station yesterday, talking on your cell phone with your five-year-old sitting in the front seat next to you. Props that he was at least buckled in, I guess, but he needs to be in the back, on a booster, sweetie). And I know it's really, really easy to pick on Britney. But c'mon; give her a break, and tackle someone or something a little more challenging. She has enough to deal with already, and you're making it worse.

On a pseudo-related note, don't even get me started on stupid Brandon Davis and his diatribe against Lindsay Lohan. He is just such an ass, and I would like for him to go away. The end.

3 Comments:

  • Amen to that, cut Brit some slack. There are photos out there of her twisting her ankle and therefore causing the near fall of baby Sean. These nit-pickers are going to give Brit a nervous breakdown and then what will we all do with ourselves???

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 PM  

  • The highchair incident I can forgive. The near fall, I can totally see past that. It is the driving that irks me. First, it was the lap thing. Now there are pics of her with the baby facing forward in his car seat when he should be rear facing and in a convertible. It is not safe and illegal.

    By Blogger Carrie, at 9:07 AM  

  • Not that i condone the unsafe driving in the convertible, but, I have been told that it is not law in the state of California that the car seats be facing the rear. It has also been suggested that 80% of parents incorrectly fasten their children in their car seats. Again, I don't condone the behavior at all, I just think they are interesting little factoids.
    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home