tangentwoman

Friday, April 28, 2006

Lonely and stinky

One of my co-workers mentions every few months some study that showed that the strongest indicator of job satisfaction is having a best friend at work. I have never seen the actual study; I have no idea whether it's from a credible source, but my co-worker is a research nerd, and it makes intuitive sense, so I'm gonna go ahead and believe it.

Minnams is for sure my best friend at work, and I think most days I'm hers, but she's not my only friend at work -- there are a handful of people I see socially, and a handful I'm friendly with at work but not outside, and another handful whom I neither see socially or feel particularly close with but who are fun to have lunch with once in a while in a group. All of which is good on days like today, when Minnams isn't in the office.

The problem today, though, is that none of these other tiers of friends are in the office, either, and it's making me a little blue. It's a beautiful Friday and all I want to do is take a little break to take a walk outside, but I have no one to go with, and I feel kind of pathetic going by myself, only because everyone with a window would see me roaming around our little walking paths by myself and know I have no friends, and part of me is still in junior high and just can't abide that. So, boo, and woe is me, and all that kind of stuff.

And while I'm at it, I reek of sulfur. It's really weird, and I haven't found anyone else at work who experiences this problem to the same extent, but nine times out of 10 when I eat the grapes at work, my hands smell like sulfur and I can't get rid of it. I could wash my hands 15 times and it wouldn't go away for several hours. It's bizarre, and distracting, and it probably took me at least five instances of smelling like sulfur to make the connection to the grapes. I know the obvious answer is just to stop eating the grapes, or to eat them with a fork, I guess, but I feel like they're good for me and I already have enough weird eating habits that I don't really want to draw additional negative attention by eating grapes with a fork.

Any other sulfur-sensitive freaks out there with tips for me? Anyone? Anyone....?

2 Comments:

  • No... but i have the problem of tuna fish finger smell when I empty one of those cans...

    ick...

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 3:09 PM  

  • I say embrace your food quirks. There is a (hilarious) episode of Seinfeld about people who eat Snickers bars with a knife and fork. I think you'd be OK eating grapes with a fork. You might start a new trend!

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home