tangentwoman

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Like a continental soldier...

I am loving daylight savings time; despite a few rough mornings while my body adjusted to the time change, it's such a great feeling to be home from work while it's still light outside.

The Smelmooo's at a dinner tonight, so I went for a run/walk on my own after I got home from work. My run/walks sometimes turn out to be a little bit of sprinting, a lot of panting and about a 1:30 ratio of running to walking, but tonight it was actually fairly evenly distributed.

While I was running down a side street, I heard strains of music from an ice cream truck a couple of blocks away. Despite not having had ice cream for 40-something days -- and still craving it every single day -- I enjoyed that there was an ice cream truck in our neighborhood, because it's a sure sign of spring and summer just around the corner. I felt a little sad that, once the truck came into view, there weren't any kids pouring into the streets for an Italian ice or a Bomb Pop or whatever. I wondered if the ice cream man's heyday has passed, what with all of these efforts to curb childhood obesity, not to mention fear that the driver of the truck is a pedophile or at least a pervert.

Particularly when he's playing "Do Your Boobs Hang Low?" as he travels around the neighborhood.

I have no idea if that's actually the name of the song (it may officially be "Do Your Ears Hang Low), but I can still hear my high school friend Kristin singing the less wholesome version: "Do your boobs hang low? Do they wobble to and fro? Can ya tie 'em in a knot? Can ya tie 'em in a bow? Can ya throw 'em over your shoulder, like a Continental soldier? Do your boobs hang low?!"

So that's what's been in my head for the last hour, and I hope I won't be hearing it all summer long. What ever happened to "Row Row Row Your Boat" as the ice cream truck's theme song?

2 Comments:

  • Funny how different people interpret the same song. In our high school it was, "Do your balls hang low, do they sag in the snow......" I won't include the ending as it gets a little cruder.
    And of course that's one song that I can still remember every word of.
    -Leslie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 PM  

  • I love that song and I have many fond memories of my mom singing the EARS hang low version as a kid.

    HOWEVER... the song on the ice cream truck begins in a similar way to that song... but it isn't that song... about the 15th measure is when it starts to go horribly wrong... like a bad nightmare.

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home