tangentwoman

Friday, May 26, 2006

Dainty, like a Clydesdale

Today kicks off our summer of business-casual attire at work, which Minnams writes about far more engagingly than I do, especially about the men's choices, which range from safe, conservative khakis and plan polos to crazy Hawaiian shirts with too-dressy pants and shoes. It's a bizarre mixed bag.

One of the beautiful things about the shift to business casual is the lifting of the leg-covering requirement. Lots of people (Minnams) go bare-legged whenever the weather permits, but my legs are so ghastly, ghostly white that I can't get away with it, and I don't want to subject people to them anyway. But once the official business-casual is on, I just don't care, and I am very happy to wear sandals and skirts and not have to worry about tights or stockings, sunglare from the legs be damned.

Anyway, I wanted to be a little springy/summery today, something cute to go with my new hair, which I'm still loving, although I think the humidity is making it curl weirdly today, but at least it's not all in my face. So I'm wearing a lightweight skirt and a plain top (which could probably use a necklace, but I don't have one that looks right -- see, Minnams? I'm at least noticing now, even if I don't care enough to actually accumulate appropriate accessories) and sandals with a little heel. All very ladylike, really.

Until I walked back to my office from a meeting on the second floor, when I began descending the stairs with a resounding CLOMP-CLOMP-CLOMP. Not like a flip-floppy thwip-thwip-thwip, but a booming noise, like I weighed a thousand pounds and the steps might collapse under my weight. I had this same issue with a pair of sandals I wore on our honeymoon, which embarrassed the hell out of the Smelmooo when we walked from our eighth-floor cabin to the dining room on the main deck, but I thought the ones I'm wearing today were okay. Only on flat surfaces, though.

So to avoid all the racket, I started walking sort of sideways down the stairs, like I was walking up a mountain on skis, only going the opposite direction. I got to the first landing of the steps, and looked up to see Minnams and another of our co-workers staring at me from the second floor, very puzzled looks on their faces.

"My shoes are really noisy, so I'm trying to quit sounding like an elephant."

"I think it's more a Clydesdale."

Indeed, so I've spent the better part of the morning dodging that co-workers horse impressions every time I walk by.

My teachers in Catholic school always liked to say, "You act the way you're dressed." I think it's gonna be a looooooooong business casual summer around here, if that's the case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home