tangentwoman

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Just one of the guys

For the last two or three years, the Smelmooo and some of his buddies have been playing poker every couple of months, or as schedules allow. While the guys play poker, some subset of their wives/girlfriends/other women (not the guys' "other women," but other women not married to or dating the guys) usually take part in a Wives' Night, during which we go to dinner or a movie or just hang around yammering and being stereotypically girly. But we never, ever play poker, because tradition has dictated that these be Guys' Nights, where the men can drink tons of beer, and burp and fart freely, and generally let loose and act like jackasses without the judgmental eye -- or in my case, eyebrows -- of their significant others.

But on Friday, HYB and I found ourselves at the poker table, along with our husbands and two guy friends. A bunch of the guys bailed, and none of the other women were joining us for Wives' Night, so we were included, I suspect because the guys figured we'd be easy targets. I'm proud to say, though, that we pretty much held our own at the table, and both of us came out ahead individually at the end of the night (I was only up three bucks, but ahead is ahead, in my book).

In addition to the Limit Hold 'Em game that was the order of business for the night, the guys started up a "short" No-Limit Tourney, which lasted for ages, and I was just too much of a pansy -- and too much of a cheapskate -- to join. But I quickly realized that I should've participated, because No-Limit is much more suited to my poker sensibilities. I hated, for example, that I flopped Kings and Threes in one of the Limit rounds, but then the board paired Sixes on the river and HYB sucked out a win; if we'd been playing No-Limit, I feel like I would've taken that one easily. But it was all in good fun, and I was secretly delighted when HYB started raking in pots near the end of the night.

And I like to think we women didn't put too much of a damper on the fun, although I suspect if we hadn't been there, the guys wouldn't have been talking about the National Spelling Bee (with which I was completely obsessed; I could not stop talking about it all day Friday), or about Jen and Vince in The Break-Up, and they probably would've been drunker and cruder. So who knows; maybe next time there'll be enough men to fill the seats, and we'll be relegated to doing our knitting or playing Bunco or something. But if we are, I know it's 'cause the boys are scared of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home