tangentwoman

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Four irritants and an observation

1. People who sneeze without covering their mouth and nose.
2. People who begin their sentences with "As well."
3. The phrase "value-added."
4. The phrase "in lieu of" when someone really means "in light of" (e.g., "In lieu of the snowstorm predicted for Friday, we've developed a contingency plan for our scheduled meeting.").

Last night, the Smelmooo and I went to a fancy work-related dinner at a country club. I loved all of the food, and was particularly excited about the apple cobbler dessert, which they served during some of the closing speeches. It was a really tiny room, so I felt kind of weird eating while people were speaking, but I looked around and pretty much everyone was digging into dessert. And every single woman I observed was using a fork for the cobbler, and every single man was using a spoon. I'm not sure what that's about -- Smelmooo offered a theory about most of the men being engineers and therefore using the "logical" utensil, whereas I find the fork to be more logical -- and I don't usually give much credence to the Mars/Venus thing, which I think is overly simplistic and reinforces ridiculous gender stereotypes, but what's up with this?

2 Comments:

  • your version of my observation is lacking.

    All I was saying was that the spoon is more EFFICIENT thus the engineering type minds used the tool that gets the job done better on a foor product that lacked viscosity.

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 6:53 PM  

  • If there is ice cream involved, I'll use a spoon. Otherwise, a fork will do. I'm no engineer.

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home