tangentwoman

Thursday, August 14, 2008

A teensy hypocritical, no?

So, I'm no big fan of Jennifer Love Hewitt, although I loved, loved, loved Party of Five, and joined a letter-writing campaign to save the show in its early days (I wish the effort to save My So-Called Life had been equally successful...). But by the time JLoHew found her way to her spinoff series, I was more than over both Sarah and her.

But I have also been happy that she seems to be settling down with someone who seems good for her (although I did not enjoy all of those clearly posed "candids" following the engagement, with the parrot and the head on the shoulder and all that nonsense). And I hated that she took so much flak for those vacation photos a few months back, and I was glad that she fought back with the whole "I am perfectly happy and healthy in my body, which by the way is a Size 2, thanks."

And then today, I was in D.C. for work, and, as is my custom, went immediately for the US Weekly for my train ride home. And the cover story is how JLoHew lost 18 pounds in 10 weeks, woo!

And I flipped through the story, and it actually seems like maybe her trainer and her PR person need to get on the same page, or maybe she needs to fire her trainer for flapping her gums. Because, of course, the trainer is quoting JLoHew as saying she wants to get in shape so she looks awesome in a tank top, and the rep is saying the new look is all about getting in shape to run a marathon.

Which it may be. I'm sure she is going to run a marathon, and she'll probably beat Katie Holmes's time, but it just seems like one shouldn't go on and on about how the media is perpetuating girls' issues with body image and then crowing to US Weekly about taking 18 pounds off of her Size 2 body. And maybe she didn't go after it; maybe the trainer was out of line; maybe it's all totally made up (although the revelatory: "She likes cherries!"? You can't make that stuff up!). But I felt a little indignant, seeing that. And maybe that's the point. Maybe indignance, and a somewhat Love-hate (heh) relationship increases sales of trashy magazines.

2 Comments:

  • I just can't with Love. I can't. And it's not just because her stupid Ghost Whisperer crap replaced my beloved Joan of Arcadia. It's because she generally sucks. And didn't deserve Ethan Embry in Can't Hardly Wait.

    -S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:55 AM  

  • All I kept thinking yesterday was "Aman-duh! Who's gonna want you now?"

    By Blogger hyb, at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home