tangentwoman

Thursday, July 03, 2008

I'm not giving a rose to Doug Benson

So, I can’t believe I’m actually giving the movie Super High Me ("based on a joke by Doug Benson") a second thought, because my reaction to it was just a hair to the negative side of indifference. There was lots of random footage of DEA agents busting legitimate dispensaries in California, and I didn't feel like that hung together with the rest of the movie, but whatever. And I was sort of fascinated by this contraption called a volcano that basically filled up a giant plastic bag that Doug sucked on for his first hit of the morning.

But the thing that really rubbed me the wrong way was that, during the first half of the movie, in which Doug is doing his 30-day abstinence period (from both pot and alcohol, and it was never clear to me whether he reintroduced alcohol during the 30 days of pot-smoking), there's this weird little scene where his mom breaks her glasses, and he has to send her a check to cover the cost of new glasses. He points out, kind of bitterly, that he pays for pretty much everything for his mom. And, scene. And, never brought up again.

I figured that it would have to come up later, like when he was in the thick of his 30 days of smoking he’d somehow be unable to help her out when she needed it or something (although that would have been off-message for what I think he was trying to demonstrate), or that in one of his therapy sessions something more about his mom would come out. You know, you show a gun in the first act, it has to go off in the second? But no mention at all, and it makes me think Doug Benson -- who I love on Best Week Ever, particularly when he does rose ceremonies -- is kind of a jerk. Why make that public, your mom's financial troubles and the fact that she depends on you, if it's wholly unrelated to anything else in the storyline?

4 Comments:

  • I love Doug Benson... he's the right amount mean...

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 9:09 AM  

  • I've told Tony on a few occasions that DB reminds me of you, Smelmooo. Is that offensive? I hope not. I think he's pretty damn funny!

    ~Megan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 PM  

  • If you mean by looks... then yes...

    If you mean by charmingly offensively sarcastic... then no.

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 2:20 PM  

  • The charmingly offensive sarcastic aspect, of course!

    ~m

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home