tangentwoman

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

World's biggest dumbass (today, anyway)

Today started out badly. I have had two successive nights of not being able to sleep -- I fall asleep fine, and sleep fairly soundly at first, but yesterday I woke up at 4:15 and couldn't get back, and today it was 3:11. I had to catch a 5:58 train to D.C. anyway, but not ideal, and when I was asleep I had anxiety dreams about leaving my work bag at home and being totally unprepared for my meetings.

So in real life, I remembered the bag, but literally a minute before my train arrived, I realized I'd left my cell phone in the car in the parking deck, across the tracks, two stories up. Now, I probably leave my cell phone behind every other month or so, and it's usually an annoyance but not a biggie. Today, though, I was staffing not only my big boss, but HER big boss, i.e. the biggest boss, on a packed day of congressional meetings, on a day when there were tons of votes going on and potentially lots of last-minute scheduling changes. So, suffice to say, not a good day to be without a phone.

Luckily, I had a couple of things going in my favor: my work-issued Blackberry does have a phone function, amd I was able to get special dispensation to use that function given the circumstances. And, bless him, the Smelmooo retrieved my real phone from my car and kept an eye on incoming calls, and basically was my secretary for the day, so it all went off without a hitch, and the biggest boss was none the wiser (I was still freaking out a hair when my big boss got on the train at the next station, and I had to come clean to her).

So it all worked out, and it was actually quite a successful day on the whole. And I was feeling quite proud and relieved when I finally got to lose my suit jacket and throw my hair in a ponytail and pee at Union Station before we caught our train home.

And then, I am not making this up, the woman in the stall next to me peed on me. Well, on my shoe and on my pants leg, which I suppose is slightly better than peeing on my skin, but still, vile. I understand not wanting to sit on those grody seats, but if you're gonna squat (which I do), have SOME semblance of aim and respect! I understand a little bit on the seat, maybe, if you're not squatting deeply enough, but really? All over the floor, and so far off-base that a fairly considerable amount splashes into the adjoining stall? Unacceptable, and did I mention just plain GROSS?!

But sort of par for the course today, I guess.

2 Comments:

  • Is it wrong that your story made me laugh? I think it is. It's horrific and I'm sure was the perfect capper to your day. Apparently I laugh at the inappropriate.
    -S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 AM  

  • Early morning hours?
    Getting peed on at unexpected times?

    sounds like your ready to babysit Josh!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home