tangentwoman

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A slippery slope

So, I learned today that at least one airline is now charging for water (two bucks for a bottle, one of my colleagues reported; at least they aren't -- yet -- charging two bucks for a dinky plastic cup), and another for blankets and pillows. And the rumor is that the next frontier is providing wireless access, at ten bucks a pop or so.

Which, in some ways, would be excellent. I sometimes end up having to work offline on my laptop on a long flight, and then always have a devil of a time getting everything synched up. And it would take Twittering (or, as I've learned it's actually called, Tweeting) to a whole new level: 5:02 -- flying over Lake Tahoe! 5:12 -- flying over the Grand Canyon!

On the other hand, I really like that I am unreachable for five hours on a cross-country flight, and that I currently feel no guilt when I choose to watch the in-flight movie or read a book or even a trashy magazine or three. If there were wireless available, I'd feel compelled to be on it, and others would feel free to pounce on that time. So, overall, meh.

But what REALLY scares me is that cell phone usage on planes will be right around the corner. I can't imagine anything worse: thirsty, hungry, cold, cramped, cranky people shoved into close quarters with no hope of escape, all yammering into their phones. It might be worse than the world depicted in Wall-E (not to be confused with Walley World).

Separately, I just paged through my Brangelina Twins issue of People, and I can't help but think that Knox is getting the shaft. What's up with that? There are hardly any pictures of him in which his face is actually visible and in focus. They seem cute, although I'm not sure what the big whoop is (not that babies aren't a big whoop generally, but...really?). And there is one photo in which I was convinced, for a full 30 seconds or so, that Brad had a long, French-manicured thumbnail, which was completely shocking, until I realized it was actually Knox's white blanket creating an optical illusion. Phew, although I wish the wife-beater shirt were also an optical illusion.

1 Comments:

  • See, and I think the wifebeater, is hot. Perhaps it is just the wearer of the wifebeater that I find hot. ;)

    -S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home