tangentwoman

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Black flies in my chardonnay

I'm feeling generally fairly happy today: even though it was freezing this morning, the sun has now peeked out, so it looks like spring out my window, at least. And I had a meeting-free morning, which is a rare treat, so I actually plowed through a ton of tasks that have been sitting, ignored, on my to-do list for days or even weeks. But still, I can't help finding reasons to be cranky, including:

-- The woman who checks me in at the gym, who at one point was insanely friendly toward me, and who I think still loves the Smelmooo, but who has been absolutely icy to me since I've returned from my injury-related hiatus. She barely acknowledges me these days, despite my best efforts to be chipper and pleasant no matter how draggy I feel. Today, I offered a pretty sunny, "Good morning!" to which she said, "We open at 5:30 now." In a tone that made me feel like she was scolding me for not showing up until 6:15, as though I were late for an appointment and had kept her waiting without calling first or offering any explanation. I am fairly certain that wasn't her intention, but it totally came off as judgment, rather than information.

-- Chronic misuse of the word "everyday" when the user means something other than "ordinary." I think I have a heightened sensitivity to this one ever since reading a Harper's story about it years ago (an excerpt, at least, is here, although I recall the exchange going on way longer in the actual magazine), and I feel vaguely annoyed whenever I see it on my shampoo bottle in the morning. And I have been a right bitch about this with my team at work, and I know they think I'm an insane person for getting so worked up about it, but I think that if I take the time when I'm editing a document to insert a comment specifically explaining why something is wrong, that I should not see that mistake cropping up repeatedly. It's not like it's a complex grammar rule.

-- My secret admirer. I guess this isn't a true pet peeve, but I am puzzled and curious. I arrived at work on Monday to find on my chair (1) US magazine, which I knew immediately was from Minnams (yay, Reese and Jake! Love you!) and (2) a package of Peeps, which I assumed were also from Minnams. But no luck. And I've now asked five other people at work if they're behind the Peeps, and no one is owning up to it. Very puzzling. But also not the worst thing in the world; regardless of the source, there are certainly worse things I could stumble upon in my office on a Monday morning.

-- Meredith Vieira.

1 Comments:

  • 1. I would LOVE to get Peeps on my chair. I didn't get any this year which was very sad.

    2. I'd be much crankier about Kathy Lee Gifford than Meredith Viera were I home when the Today show was on.

    3. New Kids on the Block will be on the Today show tomorrow. If they are playing outside, I will have to snicker at them from afar.

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home