tangentwoman

Sunday, March 09, 2008

No worms, but what IS inside Tucker?

The Smelmooo and I took Tucker to the vet yesterday for his annual check-up and immunizations, and were all three doing the happy dance when we learned that Tucker is worm-free (and otherwise healthy, as well). Hooray!

Our vet, who almost never remembers us or Tucker -- which is fine with me, because we fortunately see him only once or twice a year -- again asked us whether Tucker's a rescue dog (yes), and whether he himself had neutered Tucker (yes). And then he said, "Well, that's great that you rescued him, and you're taking good care of him. Do you know there's now genetic testing available so you can figure out what kind of mix he is?"

And, as an avid reader of People magazine, of course I knew about it, and when I was reading the article on the treadmill a couple of months back, or whatever it was, I thought, "Huh, interesting," and then went on to read about Eddie Murphy's marriage and/or divorce without giving it another thought.

And even though I'd heard of it, I was surprised that the vet was offering this up as a legitimate option (and it struck me, of course, that this a problem with the human health care system, too, though certainly not the only one, and probably not the biggest).

[By the way: On ABC Family right now: Sixteen Candles, followed by Better Off Dead. I may not get off the couch today. I haven't seen Sixteen Candles in a really long time, but I caught it just as the chaos is really setting in at the party, and Jake keeps calling Sam's grandparents and hanging up on them. It's also funny to me the editing on ABC Family vs. stations like TBS, which I think have less strict definitions of adult language and content. I still don't understand how CBS is airing Dexter, but one of my co-workers who never saw the Showtime version is enjoying it.]

So anyway, the vet assistant brought in a little pamphlet, and the vet started looking at us expectantly. "Uhhhh...so, is there any legitimate reason for doing this? Other than, you know, out of curiosity?"

"Well, it's just a blood test, and it's only, like, $180. And if there's some breed in him that's particularly susceptible to certain conditions, it can help you figure out the best way to care for him."

To me, it seems like a total scam, and I actually sort of like the mystery of what dogs might have come together over the years to result in a funny-looking, long-bodied, short-legged, sweet-faced, floppy-eared black dog with a couple of splashes of white. But who knows, maybe I'm missing something.



  • Yes, for his health and well-being.
  • Yes, just for fun.
  • No, are you insane?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home