tangentwoman

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Ready or not...

Most of my friends are in their 30s. My life insurance policy has considered me to be 30 for almost six months. I've been telling the treadmill and the elliptical that I'm 30 for the last couple of months, just because it seems more honest (and, really, it probably doesn't matter anyway, because as Minnams pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago, the elliptical is a huge liar when it's spitting out stats). Although this morning, I called myself 29 on the treadmill, just because it's the last day it's actually true. Fourteen hours left of my 20s, and I'm feeling a little weird about it.


Which doesn't make a ton of sense, I guess; it's not like I've done nothing with my life and all of a sudden I'm 30 and crap, I have to be a grown-up now. I sometimes feel like I was born a grown-up (although I certainly had my share of indiscretions and childishness and ridiculous behavior in my 20s) and that I'm finally catching up chronologically.

But I sort of think that's the issue: I've always been mature for my age, I've always been the youngest one at my job. But it's expected that someone in her 30s should be in a position like mine; the things that in my younger days made me a superstar now just make me average. And that's a weird place to be. So, to some extent, I'm experiencing the same slap in the face now that I did when I got to college and realized I was no longer the smartest kid in the class, and that I'd in fact probably peaked around eighth grade. And, probably because in my youth it had all come so easily to me, I'd never really learned how to be disciplined about school or to develop good study habits, and now I was just mediocre. I finally figured it out and got my act together, although probably not really until my junior semester abroad (10 years ago! God, I really am old).

But anyway, maybe it's not the worst thing that I'm no longer a stand-out. I don't think I actually have the ambition or the stamina to sustain rock star status professionally. And it's not like I'm hitting 30 with any mountainous regrets, or with anything undone that I really wanted to have done by this point in my life.

So, okay. I'm ready now. Bring it on.

7 Comments:

  • Welcome to the club, we're certainly happy to have you.

    -S

    P.S. That doesn't mean we can't do something completely juvenile to celebrate. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 AM  

  • You're certainly in good company, as far as the "I'm special" of the 20's turning into the "I'm surviving" my 30's! But it's a big relief when you realize that you don't have to spend every waking moment being a rock star and you just can be with your loved ones (and they think you are a rock star anyway).

    By Blogger mickeyg, at 1:39 PM  

  • Yeah, it's pretty much downhill from now on....

    I'm not sure if it's a switch that gets flipped, but most of us get to that realization around the time when we turn thirty and get somewhat depressed about it. For me, it was running out of big life-defining goals. What do I do now? Am I done? Is it time to pop out babies and live vicariously through them? There is a reason why self-help books sell so well in this country.

    But you have to remember that all the work you put into your first 30 years got you to the privileged place that you are at now. Your skills, your successes, and everything else that goes with it may seem commonplace to you, but that's because you've EARNED the right to surround yourself with people like you in your personal and professional life. And that still puts you way ahead of everyone else in the civilized world.

    So yeah, I agree with mickeyg - now's the time to enjoy it all. If that's not your cup of tea, aim even higher. Look at what Julia Child did after the age of 40.

    By Blogger hyb, at 11:42 PM  

  • "the things that in my younger days made me a superstar now just make me average."

    Wow, you really hit the nail on the head for me. I had an identical feeling when I hit thirty. I was no longer the WizKid.

    It gets better, and if it doesnt you can try your hand at Competitive Eating...a wonderful distraction!

    Happy Birthday

    By Blogger steakbellie, at 1:16 PM  

  • Happy Birthday!!!


    love beth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:17 PM  

  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Just catching up with blogs now so I am sorry I'm a bit late. Many, many best wishes for an incredible 30th year and an even better decade. And don't worry...who needs to be a whiz kid when you're an awesome person? From what I've seen, you are far from average. Remember that, hold on to it, and let it carry you into a celebration of 30 years of you.
    XOXO
    Abby G.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 PM  

  • Hey Everybody!

    I recently saw Tangentwoman out and about...

    She wasn't doing anything interesting... but at least... she's alive!!!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home