tangentwoman

Monday, November 19, 2007

I think I was just unintentionally racist

A few years ago, one of my colleagues went into a tailspin because she was worried she'd misused the word "linchpin" and that it somehow had a connection to lynching. Which it does not.

But I just was talking to another colleague, who asked why a particular call was scheduled with an outside group:

"Are they in trouble?"
"Not really...they've just sort of gone off the plantation, and we need to get them back in line."

What I meant to say was "off the reservation," but when I stumbled over "plantation" and thought about both of those phrases, I think probably both are rooted in some kind of racial or ethnic intolerance. I don't really know, and my colleague didn't seem offended by my idiocy generally, but I still feel as though I ought to excise both of those terms from my vocabulary.

2 Comments:

  • I am not sure if we can remain married.

    I would say yes, but the thought of that is totally off the plantation!

    Oh shit... I mean... ummm... reservation

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 8:38 AM  

  • I've actually never heard of either but i'm not exactly wordly. I do remember though, being a part of a game of some kind when another player attempted to use the word "JEW" as a verb. That ended the game and it wasn't even me, the only jewish person in the room, who took the greatest offense.

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home