tangentwoman

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Happy people don't kill their husbands!

Last Wednesday, while I was walking from my office to get my lunch, my right foot totally seized up, and I nearly threw up and fell over, I was in so much pain. Out of absolutely nowhere; I hadn't gone running that morning, wasn't wearing uncomfortable shoes, had pretty much been sitting at my desk editing all morning. Totally bizarre and scary; I'd never experienced anything like it.

The general consensus -- I think I've polled pretty much everyone who reads my blog -- is that I have a spot of Plantar fasciitis. And I've had good treatment recommendations that have been pretty effective: rolling a golf ball under my foot; rolling a cold soda can under my foot; stretching my foot using an exercise band; getting orthotics for my shoes. But I'm still not 100%, and by yesterday I still was afraid to exercise and put any kind of extra strain on my foot, for fear of screwing it up even worse. And, boy, did I feel it, as did pretty much everyone around me.

I've discovered anew that I am cranky when I don't exercise. I'm tired and cranky and irritable, and it's absolutely no good. By yesterday afternoon, I was an absolute bear. So I decided to screw it; I left work early and rode the bike at the gym, which seemed less bad than the elliptical or, certainly, the treadmill (not as good as the pool, but we have sucky hours for swimming, and I'm totally intimidated by the regular swimmers, anyway). And, voila: Improved mood, almost immediately after I was home and showered, and the good effects are persisting. It's really extraordinary. I swear, if I were in charge, and if it were legal, I would require all of my employees -- hell, everyone, everywhere -- to get regular exercise.

The other reason it was great to leave work early yesterday? I found out on my way home that Yosh on ER was Long Duk Dong!! The Smelmooo said he'd known that all along, but I had no idea. I am such a geek, but this is part of the reason I love NPR, the random stuff they throw in along with the topical and hard news stories.

Best lowbrow culture moment of the week thus far? Heather's return on Rock of Love, particularly the instant-classic line, "That's all I need to know. I gotta pee."

Her awesomeness made the lackluster appearance by Saaphyri and Buckwild on Flavor of Love even more disappointing by comparison.

6 Comments:

  • Thankfully, i am not dead.

    Thankfully, TW has figured out how to fix her foot.

    Thankfully, she is exercising again

    Phew

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 12:58 PM  

  • Heather is Klassy. I got to watch her while my own plantar fasciitis throbbed on the treadmill last night. I was worried about Jessica for a couple minutes, she looked dead.

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:23 PM  

  • Good call, Shari. Seriously, she totally had the rolling-back-in-her-head dead eyes for a while there. But I have to admit, I have tooootttally been Jessica. I really, really felt for her, way more than I did for Brandi M. last season, just because I identify much more closely with Jessica's brand of drunken nonsense.

    By Blogger tangentwoman, at 2:11 PM  

  • I am feeling great about being married to you right now.

    By Blogger Smelmooo, at 6:03 PM  

  • Smelmooo, you should--your wife is awesome.

    -Shari

    P.S. I kind of loved Brandi M. too. She seemed like fun.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:30 AM  

  • glad to hear your plantar fascitis is feeling better. i knew about long duk dong - but haven't seen ER in quite awhile.

    did you notice that NPR has changed their morning format??!? i hate it - no more bbc world service during my morning commute. grr.

    and smelmooo, you DO have an awesome wife. we missed you on sat night, right shari?

    sorry, i have nothing to contribute to your dwts convo. i don't watch it. i'm boring. (and nerdy, as h & h love to remind me.)

    By Blogger m, at 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home