tangentwoman

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I'm contagious. Or not.

So, somehow, all of these people in my office are getting e-mails from Dell and Circuit City with an order confirmation for some $2500 Sony product, addressed to me. Our computer people tell me this is nothing to worry about, I don't have a virus, all that stuff that should be comforting, but meanwhile I'm inundated with calls and e-mails from puzzled and concerned co-workers who are filling my head with "Someone's stolen your identity, I bet!"

Which I don't think really makes sense, because the message doesn't actually include any personal information about me. And I guess that because the e-mails are coming to me, rather than from me, it's feasible that I don't, in fact, have a virus. But it's so odd, and so annoying, and I hope it stops.

But, if anyone in my address book outside of my office gets this message, will you please let me know? Because then I think I have more cause for alarm.

2 Comments:

  • That happens to me all the time at work. I get stuff in my spam folder addressed to other people in the office. I was told the same thing--not a virus, nothing that should cause you to worry.

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 PM  

  • Someone got ahold of one of those fwds that have like a million names in the header and loaded them into a SPAM program.

    By using your name, your friends are likely to open it. Most likely the attachment is a virus or spyware though

    By Blogger steakbellie, at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home