tangentwoman

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Tangent/Smelmooo crime scene

I rarely read the NJ newspaper during the week, but I almost always read it cover-to-cover on the weekends. Yesterday, there was a big story about this bizarre shooting in Newark (that part is not so surprising), which took place at this middle-aged woman's apartment. It was apparently drug-related (also not surprising), but the woman was this white, blonde-haired equestrian, and the other people in the apartment were African-American teenagers, apparently good kids.

They still didn't seem to have many answers when the story went to press, and I haven't looked it up to read more, so the reporter was really trying to demonstrate how atypical this shooting was. Yes, friends and co-workers and the ex-husband all described the woman as a little odd, and having gotten into drugs, and neighbors said that it was pretty clear she was dealing from her apartment. But, the article pointed out, the apartment was well-decorated, with fluffy pillows (which, to me, evoked 13 Going on 30 -- "I need a big fluffy pillow!!"), and there was pomegranate juice in the fridge, and Garnier Nutrisse products in the bathroom. So, clearly, not your typical drug dealer.

So I of course started thinking about how the article would read if there were a fatal crime in our house (I think part of this is that I've been watching too many episodes of The Closer back-to-back). And, really? They would not be surprised. Well, actually, right now, we have watermelon in the fridge and a handful of green apples, which I guess would speak well of us, but in general? Officers would find in our kitchen: Diet Coke, beer, ice cream, cheese, English muffins, fixings for Rice Krispies Treats, cereal, and dog food. In our bathroom, they would find almost exclusively generic products, except for my Venus razor and hotel-brand soaps and mini-shampoos.

In other words, nothing to suggest that it'd be in any way unusual that a heinous crime would play out in our home.

1 Comments:

  • I occasionally wonder what the CSI NJ folks would think at random moments, like if I was in a car accident, what would the 50 cd's, box of soy mild, baseball bat and pair of shoes tell them. I wonder if our book collection is any odder than others, or if the number of empty picture frames would make them suspicious that I recently hid evidence. Does that make me strange?

    By Blogger mickeyg, at 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home