tangentwoman

Monday, August 28, 2006

Emmy Observations

I get completely sucked in by Hollywood awards shows, and even though I think I like the Golden Globes and the Oscars better, I was very excited about the Emmys last night. Of course, I fell asleep somewhere after Barry Manilow's win and the Aaron Spelling tribute. The Smelmooo taped the rest, so I may watch the rest of the show tonight and have additional reactions at a later date, but in the meantime, here are my random observations, mostly from the Red Carpet, because no one has much chance to say anything when they win (at least in the early categories):

-- First, I understand that it was hot, hot, HOT on the Red Carpet, so I'll try to be forgiving about stars who seemed especially cranky as they were getting ready to walk in (yeah, YOU, Julia Louis-Dreyfus). I can't imagine how hot the men were in their tuxes, and it makes me want to be a teeeeeensy less critical of Jeremy Piven and his rumpled, sloppy ascot. But he's not altogether off the hook.

-- I mostly like Kyra Sedgwick, and I have been enjoying The Closer, and I liked the color of her dress, but the top of it just looked way too big for her. This was my biggest issue of the evening, the way women's dresses were fitting up top.

-- Like Jenna Fischer's. I like Jenna Fischer a lot, and I thought her make-up and jewelry were lovely, but her dress fit so badly on top, and the color just washed her right out. Also true, I thought, of Katherine Heigl, about whom everyone on E! was just gushing -- but I thought she looked sort of washed out, and her make-up didn't seem to work, and her breasts needed some more support. It was a lovely dress, yes, but I thought she didn't quite pull it off.

-- I am always surprised when I see Annette Bening and Warren Beatty together that they are both so darned beady-eyed. Do they have kids together? I can't remember, but if so, I'll bet those are some squinty kids.

-- Could Heidi Klum be any more freakin' gorgeous? Tyra looked lovely, as well, but I think Heidi won, hands down.

-- I don't love Ellen Pompeo anyway, but I do generally think she's an attractive woman. But when I first saw her last night, I said with absolute sincerity, "Oh my GOD! Is that Toastee from Flavor of Love at the Emmys?!"

-- Likewise, I didn't recognize Jean Smart; I for some reason thought she was Kim Catrall getting out of her limo, and I couldn't believe how rough she looked, or how big her hair was. Maybe she was trying to channel her Designing Women era? I loved, loved, loved her as Martha on 24 last season, but she was really not at her best last night (but again, I'm going to blame the heat for that one).

-- I'm always surprised that I like Sarah Chalke when I hear her interviewed, because I always find her acting -- or maybe just her characters? -- sort of annoying.

-- I am clearly a 12-year-old boy, because I died laughing at the opening montage segment where Conan's online pedophile username is revealed as "Conebone69."

-- I can't believe that neither Jaime Pressley nor Elizabeth Perkins won supporting actress. I'm so bored by Megan Mulally (although I'm consistently surprised by her actual speaking voice).

-- I love Jeremy Piven (except for the damn ascot, and I kind of think he might be getting a big head, which might be even worse now that he's won, but I still like him, for now), but I was bummed that Will Arnett didn't win for Arrested Development. The Piv will have more opportunities as Ari, but Gob has already gone to the big banana stand in the sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home