tangentwoman

Thursday, August 24, 2006

My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine....what? No more "Pizza"?

So, it's now official: Pluto is no longer a planet.

I was totally fascinated by a New Yorker piece a few weeks ago on defining planets and finding new planets, and how there might be more than nine, and it wasn't clear how or whether Pluto fit in there. Even if there were 12, Pluto still might not make the cut. And now, it seems, it does not, but now I'm not sure where those other maybe-planets stand.

And what will the new mnemonic device be for elementary school students learning all the planets in order?

3 Comments:

  • Gah! It took me long enough to memorize the first mnemonic device! Poor Pluto.

    -S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 AM  

  • This was a discussion at my sister's house today. The best we could come up with was...Just Served Us Nachos - just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it. :(
    -Leslie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:15 PM  

  • I've never heard of the mnemoic device you shared, I grew up learning M. VEM J. SUN and his dog Pluto.

    So what will the kids learn now....Mr VEM J. SUN (who lost his dog Pluto?)

    At least they didn't expand it to now include the twenty or even 50+ that had been possible! Then what would the kids have used to remember them all?

    By Blogger seth, at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home