tangentwoman

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Best Week Ever

Okay, so this entry might be a bit premature, because I have high hopes for this lovely Saturday sunshine, and our night out in Philly, but from a visit to the beach on Sunday through my surprise birthday party last night, it's been a darn good week.

Yes, the Smelmooo threw me a surprise party, in our house, no less. I've never been the guest of honor at a surprise party before (well, my bridal shower, I guess, but somehow that seems like an obligatory surprise party), and I think I've kind of always wanted one. And maybe I'd have expected something next year for the big 3-0, but a party for my 29th seems less obvious.

My whole immediate family was there -- no kids, but I'm seeing all the nieces and nephews tomorrow -- along with most of my in-laws, a couple of neighbors and lots of good friends. Some of the friends who couldn't make it I get to see tonight in Philly; others I really missed, and I'm a little insulted that they ponied up such lame excuses: "I live in Africa," or, "I just got out of the hospital on Wednesday."

They brought beautiful cards and tons of presents, which always make me a little embarrassed. I don't know why, but I have trouble with gifts; I opened most of them after people had left, although Minnams made me open her gorgeous silver necklace while she was still there, because she likes for me to be well-accessorized (I was wearing one of the bracelets she gave me for my 28th yesterday, and no fewer than 15 people complimented me on it throughout the course of the day).

And even though I ate and ate and ate and ate at dinner with my sister and brother-in-law before I got home last night, I so enjoyed my Carvel ice cream cake and the ridiculously yummy brownie-cupcakes-with-a-Reeses-peanut-butter-cup-surprise-in-the-middle that Shari made. So all in all, an amazing night, and I'm still sort of startled by how wonderful my hubby is, and how generous and lovely my friends and family are, and it's making me feel all warm and squishy. And, Tucker was super-good through the whole thing -- he made us proud by being so well-behaved and cute.

It's been a stressful week, too, with lots of upheaval at work, but I think it'll be good in the end. I'm going to be moving into a new job -- same place, still, after all these years, but they keep giving me new and interesting challenges that keep me there -- that'll be exciting if a little scary (I keep thinking I've been getting by by faking it all these years, and I'll finally be found out as I move up the ladder), and now that it's settled that I'm doing it, I feel okay.

So, a Stuart Smalley kind of week: I'm good enough; I'm smart enough; and, gosh-darn it, people like me!

2 Comments:

  • No we don't. We love you. See you tonight! :-)

    Jenni

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:39 AM  

  • I'm glad to see that my lame-ass excuse was one of the top 5 :-)

    Hope you had a great time last night!

    By Blogger seth, at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home