tangentwoman

Thursday, July 14, 2005

A happy night and a crappy day

On Wednesday night, some lovely serendipity landed me in Philadelphia at the Khyber with my friend Jenni, her fab boyfriend Matt, and a bunch of their friends, many of whom are members of the band the Red Stanleys, which played at Khyber on Wednesday.

So, less than 2 months after I decided I'm way too old for this, I went out to a bar on a school night and just had a great time; I don't get to see Jenni as often as I'd like, and it's great getting to know Matt better, and to see him and Jenni together, and to get to know their friends (hi, Abby!). Plus, I got to stay the night at Jenni's apartment, since I had to go to a work thing nearby yesterday morning, which is always great because she lives around the corner from a Cosi (and also apparently a great diner, but we've still not made it there for breakfast), which is fantastic the morning after a night out on the town. And it was just fun to be out, having a few beers, listening to some good music and hanging out with fun people who live near enough to each other to hang out on a weeknight, which made me a tiny bit envious, because although Metuchen is home to a restaurant with good music on Wednesday nights, Metuchen and the surrounding towns is not home to many of our friends.

Anyway, I functioned quite well yesterday despite a relative lack of sleep (I woke up early and started reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, which I'm really liking, even though I'd just like something totally upbeat and fluffy between this and The Kite Runner; yeesh).

But today? I am crabby, crabby, crabby. My nearly-perfect assistant caught me before I had caffeine in me and I was bitchy and irritable and short with her for no reason and she was afraid to come back to my office for the rest of the morning (and even though I apologized and was later on my best behavior, she's still lying low. Smart, probably). I've dropped the f-bomb about 20 times, largely as a modifier for "idiot" and many worse unladylike terms I normally reserve for Jersey drivers who nearly kill me on the road. I am so desperately looking forward to the weekend, and just the end of the work day, which seems impossibly far away and ripe with potential for more ugly moments.

I'm trying to put all of this into context and learn from the personality assessment I did last night (along with my new job, I get a few sessions with a "leadership coach," whose role is basically to help me become less of a stressed-out control freak and more of a hard-ass when it comes to managing other people), which plopped me firmly in the ISTJ category (which, for those of you not in the know, stands for Introvert-Sensing-Thinking-Judging). And on most of these, I was relatively balanced, exhibiting only slightly stronger tendencies in one area than another. But boy, did I land SQUARELY in the "judging" category. Even higher than Smelmooo did when he took the test with me (he kept saying I'm 80% more Judging, and I trust his math). Anyway, I'm trying to be positive and see the value that Perceivers can bring me in the workplace, and not just become incredibly impatient and wring their freaking necks, but I've only had two sessions with my coach so far, so there's not been too much progress yet.

1 Comments:

  • As a fellow ISTJ, I must say that this is a fabulous category to be in (if we must categorize ourselves). But I have to ask -- did the person reviewing your scores say, "Wow, I've never seen a score THAT high on the J scale!!!" Mine did. Actually, she announced it and then shared the comment with several others who concurred. I took it as a badge of honor.

    By Blogger KARCHAMB, at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home