tangentwoman

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

My misguided attempt at humor

I've been working on this speech for my CEO, who likes to include African proverbs in her remarks. She's talking about redesigning the work environment as a strategy to retain workers, and the proverb I'd originally included in this speech wasn't quite working for me.

So I dutifully searched the web (how the heck did people write speeches before the Internet?!) and stumbled upon this one:

"The cattle is as good as the pasture in which it grazes."

Which, you know, is sort of a good argument if you're trying to get people to think differently about why the work environment matters, but of course my CEO can't call her audience a bunch of COWS, so I'd never actually include that proverb in her speech. I did, however, think one of my co-workers -- who'd just finished writing a different speech for her -- would find it funny, so I sent him an email titled "punchy speechwriting" and told him I'd briefly considered using it.

He called me about 2 minutes later, and said, impossibly diplomatically, "You know, I like the proverb....but I'm just not sure if it works for this audience, you know?"

And I'm not sure he quite believed me when I told him I was joking. Sometimes I just need to keep my weird sense of humor to myself, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home