tangentwoman

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Oprah, Oprah, Oprah

Okay, maybe I just don't know all the facts, but why is Oprah kicking up such a fuss about the Hermes store not letting her in after it was closed? I can see, of course, being frustrated not to get in; I imagine that, when you're Oprah Winfrey, you're accustomed to getting what you want, store hours for regular folk be damned! The usual course of events, from what I know from celebrity gossip rags, is that if a big celeb does deign to enter a fancy store during peon hours, the store will just up and close itself to regular people so the celebrity can shop in peace.

So if Oprah is as all-about-the-little-people as she claims to be, where's her outrage on behalf of little people everywhere who want to get their niece a birthday gift at Kitson but can't because Lindsay Lohan needs privacy to find the perfect trucker hat?

But I digress; my point is that I understand Oprah's being personally -- and privately -- annoyed that her celebrity status didn't get her what she wanted in this instance, and I actually think she's got some displaced anger issues, lashing out at Hermes when secretly she's kicking herself for waiting until the last minute to get that watch for Tina Turner.

I just can't believe that she's making such a big freaking deal -- planning to do a whole show about it, for pete's sake -- about not being let into a store when it was closed, and making it into a race issue. I absolutely agree that horrendous racism and discrimination, both overt and unconscious, exist in the world, and as a white woman I can't ever quite know what it feels like to be discriminated against -- excluded from a club, not given opportunities in the workplace, been looked at suspiciously -- because of the color of my skin.

I'm also a rule-follower, which I realize sometimes clouds my vision and imagination, and the store was closed. The store is open and they turn you away a la Pretty Woman, all "I don't think we have anything for you here; you're obviously in the wrong place"? Stop the presses; boycott Hermes; stage a protest; whatever -- I'm with you. But this? I just don't buy it. Get over yourself; they'd have turned me away, too, if the store were closed, and I wouldn't be crying "anti-woman!" or "anti-American!" or even "anti-non-celebrity!" It's just absurd.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually think I liked Oprah better when she was abetting Tom Cruise's absurd declaration of love and insanity on her show. Yeesh.

1 Comments:

  • Right on, sister. Would she still be claiming discrimination if she had shown up at 7:30 (or midnight) instead of 6:45???? When the store is closed, the store is closed. I don't care if you're Oprah or not.

    Of course, Oprah couldn't possibly understand that the employees might prefer to go home to their families at their expected times, rather than cater to her after hours wishes.

    By Blogger KARCHAMB, at 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home