tangentwoman

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Irony

Someone I know was at a wedding this weekend where Julia Stiles was also a guest. I asked if she reenacted her table dance from 10 Things I Hate About You.

[I saw some MTV special or a talk show appearance or something, on which Julia talked about starting Columbia and bumping into another first-year who blurted out, "I have your table-dance as my screensaver!" Which isn't entirely surprising to me, given that, in one of my huge lecture classes my first year of grad school, when Julia was still an undergrad, this whole gaggle of guys was plotting about how they were going to this campus event solely because word around school was that Julia Stiles would be there, and they totally thought they could hook up with her.]

Anyway, my friend responded, "Well, maybe that's what was missing, because she was actually a TERRIBLE dancer!" Which surprised and depressed me (particularly when he started speculating about the use of a body double), because Save the Last Dance is one of my favorite movies (shut up), and I actually thought she had some nice skills there. Minnams suggested that perhaps she just needs someone else to choreograph her moves, which made me feel a little better, but wouldn't you think she could apply some of her moves from Steps and apply them in real life?

4 Comments:

  • i'd say julia stiles trumps Kendall, Marty and the other one (forgotten his name) BUT, I know S-co so I feel that much closer to "the stars" ;)

    MS

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 PM  

  • Clearly, you have already forgotten your Olympic lessons. Your friend (Judge #1) thought she couldn't dance. But the East Germans, Romanians, and Chinese all gave her dancing very high marks. When you factor in the difficulty rating (dress, heels, pressure of dancing in public), she actually had the highest score of any of the dancers at that particular wedding.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:52 AM  

  • whenever anyone mentions "10 things" i just think...oh, heath.

    it makes me feel better that she was a bad dancer. it gives me hope. (if someone would choreograph my dancing, maybe i would be a better dancer than elaine bennis.)

    By Blogger m, at 9:08 PM  

  • As sad as this will make MS, Marty and Zach will not be attending, however, Kendall will be my housemate. :)

    -SCo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home