tangentwoman

Friday, October 24, 2008

I jinxed myself

A couple of weeks ago, a friend was telling me he was on call for jury duty the following week, and I noted that I'd never gotten a notice for jury duty. So, of course, my first-ever summons arrived on Monday. Which I'm actually kind of excited about, because I think it'll be fascinating, in addition to it being my civic duty and all. The timing is wildly inconvenient given some stuff I have going on at work the day I'm supposed to show up, but I felt like I couldn't request a postponement; when I thought about what I'd write down on the form, it just seemed like a stupid excuse, which helped to put things in perspective. So many of the things that are such a big deal to me day-to-day are so miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

And I think I used good judgment in not requesting a delay; a co-worker told me that she'd been called to serve on a grand jury right after starting a new job, and tried to get a postponement, which was denied, but the judge knew she'd requested it, and was a right bitch about it. So, I think better to keep my head down and see how it goes.

Speaking of jinxing, I just think "Shhhhhhhhh!!!! Don't say it out loud!!" every time I hear about Obama's double-digit leads in the polls. Part of me is giddy, and wants to sigh with relief, but part of me is really afraid to exhale, because a lot can happen in a week and a half. And I worry that, even if the numbers are reliable today, Obama supporters will think they don't need to vote, if he's so far ahead, and that McCain supporters will come out in droves. So I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed, and hoping for the best, but I'm not quite comfortable, still.

Separately, I found the Daily Show's segment on all of the candidates' gaffes hilarious, particularly its treatment of McCain's point that "Senator Obama's supporters have been saying some pretty nasty things about Western Pennsylvania lately. And you know, I couldn't agree with them more!...I couldn't disagree with you more!"

Finally, did John Kerry get Botox? I think maybe, and not in a good way.

1 Comments:

  • I'm with you on the SHHHHHH. Anytime I hear someone say something confident about the election I think, oh geez, fate's gonna screw us for that one!

    By Blogger mickeyg, at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home