tangentwoman

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

How fitting

I'm trying to catch up on some editing projects today, but I'm having a little bit of trouble concentrating, and I'm finding distractions like watering my plants or cleaning out my in box. But more distracting is the song that I can't get out of my head, namely: "Can't Get it Out of My Head" by Fountains of Wayne.

I will point out that this is not ironic; it is the opposite of ironic, in fact. I think if I'd been the Miss America finalist who was asked about her pet peeve, I might have said "Misuse of the word 'irony,'" but I also think I would have had a really hard time narrowing it down in such a short amount of time, and I would probably have rambled on forever, much like the actual contestant did. She was so boring, I can't even remember what her pet peeve was.

But I do remember that now-Miss America, then-Miss Oklahoma, said without hesitation, "French fries dipped in Ranch dressing," when asked what she was looking forward to indulging in post-pageant. I don't myself like that combination, but Shari and I immediately agreed that that was perhaps the most awesome real-life pageant answer ever, although not quite as good as the "Describe the perfect date" response in Miss Congeniality:

"I would have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold; all you need is a light jacket."

2 Comments:

  • Miss Virginia’s pet peeve was people who talk too much. I believe she followed that by talking entirely too much. Ironic?

    -S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:17 PM  

  • Hee...I'd totally forgotten that. I think it's somewhat ironic, but I really like to believe that it revealed a hypocrisy and self-loathing that the judges found unfitting a Miss America, and was the reason for her failing to make the final 3.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home