tangentwoman

Monday, January 23, 2006

Happy Mon-day

So I generally think I have a pretty good handle on proper grammar and usage, but recently I've been inundated with messages of "Hope you had a great week-end!"

Actually, it's only really two people, but they do it consistently, and it's such a strange construction, I think. I guess I think of the "week-end" as a very specific point in time: maybe it's the moment I drive out of the office on a Friday afternoon? The start of a Friday evening Happy Hour (which, by the way, used to happen quite a lot when I first started my job here, and now I never hear about them, and I'm not sure if it's me just not being as popular -- entirely possible -- or if the primary coordinators of these events have left, or a little of both. In any case, Christopher now works with tons of young people and they do happy hour at least once a week, which made me a tiny bit nostalgic, I think)?

But I am pretty sure that the Friday-Sunday duration is just "weekend," without additional punctuation.

Yes? No? Am I so 2005 to be calling it a weekend?

In other news, there is a deer outside that's just hobbling around pathetically, and it's really heartbreaking. Its little friends are all galloping around, perfectly healthy, but this one seems to have an injured front leg, which is reminding me of Owen Wilson's line in Meet the Parents about wishing he could help fix animals who hobble around with a little gimp.

A very sad way to come back to work after the week-end.

1 Comments:

  • Ok, in total agreement about the whole week-end thing. It's one word!!
    Just wanted to say a quick thanks..I had fun last night, even if the movie was bittersweet. It's fun to be a rebel and go out on a school night. And I recommend Brokeback Mountain to everyone...it's a lovestory that happens to have gay cowboys in it (not the other way around). :)
    -Leslie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home