tangentwoman

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Procrastination

It's been such a relief actually to be in the office this week, with only a handful of meetings, so I'm actually able to sit down and get work done, which hasn't happened since August or so. So yay, productive week with limited distractions; crossing stuff off my list; all is well in the world.

Except, of course, that this is the week that our self-appraisals are due as we kick off the annual Performance Review Process at work, which is the most stressful, godawful thing in the world for me. I panic; I sweat; I have heart palpitations; I can't sleep or eat for a day before my review. And actual doing my self-evaluation? Impossible. I close my door, put on my music, open up the document, try to focus, type in my name, and...

...decide that I really, really need to get a new dress or two from Bluefly, given that Mike and Nicole's wedding is this month, and that I have all of these fancy dinners for the Smelmooo's work, particularly now that he got his big promotion and is now In Charge (yay, Smelmooo! I'm so proud of him!!). So there goes 20 minutes, clicking through 18 pages of evening dresses.

Okay, back to it.

...but wait. We're hosting Christmas Eve dinner this year, and we need to start trying out recipes NOW. Oh, hello, Epicurious.com. How'd I end up here? Ohhhh...who knew there were so many different ways to approach chicken pot pie filling, never mind the options for creating the crust?! And desserts!

Oh, crap. It's almost Thanksgiving, and I have to find out if my parents want us to bring pie or something else for dessert, and if they do, I need to order them soon (everything else I like to make myself for dessert; pies, not so much, first because I don't really like eating them, and second because I can buy through work these pies that I actually don't hate, so it all works out). Let me call my mom to see whether she wants pie this year, and hear about the play she and Dad went to yesterday (The Odd Couple -- they loved it, despite lukewarm reviews, and my brother managed to get them super-amazing seats. Yes, mom, amazing how he went from hoodlum to Wall Street bigshot in 20 short years.), and talk about how Ellen's on the cover of People magazine this week (yay!) but that if we get tickets to see her in NYC this month, mom won't go if Hillary is going to be there.

Bye, mom, gotta do my review.

Let's start with the easy stuff..."Areas of development." I much prefer to focus on that than to paint a picture of why I'm so darn great.

Holy crap! Look at all those birds out there. It's like Hitchcock, seriously.

My plants look so limp. You guys need a drink. Let me go fill up my water bottle for you.

Hello, co-worker with 100 Grand bars left over from Halloween! Those are my favorites. No, thanks, I don't care for Good & Plenty. Do they still make Good & Fruity? I'd love to see pictures of your kids from the Halloween parade! No; I'm good; I totally have time.

The scariest thing about all this is that it's exactly the plot of The Office this week, and I'm totally Michael.

Phew. Finally. That was the kick in the pants I needed to give myself to buckle down and do my self-appraisal.

But wait. I think my office needs cleaning first....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home