tangentwoman

Thursday, October 27, 2005

So many thoughts, so little brain

Just a stream-of-consciousness brain dump today:

-- Tonight, the Smelmooo and I had dinner at a restaurant that was one of our very favorites when he lived in North Brunswick; we went there all the time, and I would often stop for take-out there on my way home from grad school. So lots of happy memories, and it was so nice actually to spend quality time together on a school night. But the place had a lot of new staff, and apparently some new policies, including a "Hey, do you guys want more soda?" that resulted in the waitress scooping up our one-third full drinks, toppping them off, and charging us for two drinks apiece. Not cool, in my book. Bring a whole new drink, then fine, but topping off is strictly for a free-refills place. So boo, but yay because the food is still darn good, and we got lots of leftovers.

-- I heard from a reliable source last night that President Bush is a Diet Coke man, that he has it at every meeting. I was, for some reason, startled and unsettled that we have that in common, but I guess there are worse things I could have in common with W. I guess I never really thought about what his new drink of choice is now that he's off the sauce.

-- There was a surprise 30th birthday party today for a woman at work, with whom I'm pretty friendly in the office, and we actually see each other socially every few months or so. I wasn't invited to the party, which actually hurt my feelings a little, but I feel like a jerk for feeling slighted. And I don't feel slighted by my friend, but now I'm worried that she feels slighted because I wasn't there and that she thinks I just blew it off. I'm overthinking it, and I'm sure I'll feel fine about it by tomorrow, but I think part of me is stuck in junior high somehow.

-- Even though I know I have a good deal at my current job, if I'm still there on my 30th birthday, I think I will be incredibly depressed.

-- I watched Ashlee Simpson on Ellen earlier this week (or maybe it was from last week...who knows...hooray for DVR, which I saw called TiFaux the other day, and I think I will start using that), and I didn't hate her. I hated her on her stupid reality show, and I hated her with dark hair, but she was actually charming and engaging and lovely. I fast-forwarded her singing, but the interview made me like her. I'm not sure what to make of this; it goes against everything I knew to be true.

-- I can't stand either candidate running for NJ governor. I'm trying to decide whether I should vote for the one who I hate less (which will require a good amount of work) or if I should do a write-in for Codey, who I actually like and think is doing a pretty good job. It seems sort of like a waste of a vote, especially in what looks to be a relatively close race, to write in someone who won't actually win, but I just don't think I can in good conscience vote for either of the other guys.

-- When I was in college, I really wanted glasses (even though I look totally goofy in sunglasses, I think in part because my ears aren't even), and I was certain I needed them the summer after my first year, but the eye doctor told me I'd just been spending too much time with the Norton Anthology of Literature without blinking regularly enough. Now that my sister Carolyn has gotten glasses and looks so cute in them, I'm back on the kick. People point out that I could get nonprescription glasses, but I think that's too dorky even for me.

-- Now that it's like 12 degrees out in the morning, I'm really missing my Jetta's heated seats, but I'm getting used to the Honda, even though I still have trouble remembering which car is mine in the parking lot.

-- I've had a teensy little cold for a week and a half now, and it is just so darn annoying. It's just enough to disrupt my sleep and make me miserable first thing in the morning and trigger uncontrollable coughing attacks during staff meetings.

-- Last night, I had a work dinner at which I was seated next to a super high-level person on whom I've long had a huge but platonic crush -- he's just smart and charming and down-to-earth and he kind of reminds me of my dad. I was kind of star-struck, I think, and (here I go again, back to junior high) got sort of quiet, but I felt a sort of kinship with him because he's also a finicky eater, I noticed. He asked a lot of questions about what ingredients were included in the salad, and carefully ate only the outer part of the layer cake during dessert. Minnams also happened to be at our table, and she noticed this similarity, as well, and pointed out that perhaps I could have bonded with him over our picky eating, but I don't think I could've pulled that one off.

-- Speaking of Minnams, I am so loving her for introducing me to The Superficial, even though she somehow found it through the Smelmooo. I've been spending an inordinate amount of time swearing at my computer this week, and spending five minutes over there really takes the edge off.

1 Comments:

  • Tangent:

    Be thankful you don't wear glasses. I've done everything short of surgery to try and get rid of them, but I can't get those stupid contacts in my eyes and I am afraid someone will get hurt and I won't be able to see across the field to them whenever I just take them off and try to be "normal" again. Plus, I keep having fits on self-confidence issues thinking the old adage of "no one makes passes at girls in glasses". Wanna trade places?

    By Blogger Jenn, at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home