tangentwoman

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

If looks could kill, you would be an Uzi

So on the drive home from work, I was flipping radio stations (and alternating with a CD! Because my new car came with an actual CD player. But I'm still having trouble getting over my first love, my dear, sweet, troublesome Jetta, so I can't quite talk about the new car yet. But I'm getting there, and I'm crossing a whole bunch of things off my list, with the cleaning out of the old car and the purchase of a new one), and came across the song "Shoop" by Salt-N-Pepa.

I just love, love Shoop, for some reason, and I hadn't heard it in ages -- in so long that I didn't remember all of the words. If that VH1 show Motor Mouth is still on, they should totally rig it so that the subjects have to sing along to Shoop, and also "Things That Make Ya Go Hmmm" (which I heard on Ellen the other day, yay!) and "The Humpty Dance."

I was thinking of Shoop the other day, though, and Smelmooo gave me one of those "you are just so weird" looks when I explained why. That "It's in His Kiss (the Shoop-Shoop song)" that was in the movie Mermaids came on the radio, and I sang along, because it's kind of catchy, and I remembered to Smelmooo how, during one of the disco nights when I was in England, I requested "Shoop" and I was so happy that the DJ had it and agreed to play it, in a way that I knew he wasn't faking like DJs always do when I request "Forever in Blue Jeans." Anyway, a few songs after I put my request in, on comes "The Shoop-Shoop Song," which is just antithetical to Shoop, which the DJ did not, in fact, have in his collection. Ah, memories.

But the other thing that the actual Shoop song reminds me of is my college roommate Katie, who was absolutely hilarious and just quirky as all get-out. She looooved Shoop, and on occasion would, after several drinks, go up to someone at a fraternity party and say -- either with wicked irony or naked infatuation -- "If looks could kill, you would be an Uzi," which of course is a line from Shoop. I don't know that it ever worked as a pick-up line, but it was funny as hell to me. I miss Katie, although I think she's one of those friends who's more bearable in retrospect.

Speaking of which, it's high school reunion time in Jersey (although mine was in April, and I skipped it, because I'm a big wimp and I was kind of scared to go without Jenny), and I so enjoyed hearing Shari's debrief of her reunion last weekend, particularly because so many people really never change, which is alternately depressing and reassuring. So I wonder if Katie, in her fancy job as a clothing buyer in NYC, is still serenading relative strangers, still procrastinating by cleaning, still best friends with Debbie, still the world's biggest Syracuse fan, still just a little nutty: Straight-up, wait up, hold up, mistah lovah.

1 Comments:

  • Seriously? One of my favorite songs EVER. Listening to it now. "You're packed and you're stacked, especially in the back. Brother wanna thank your mother for a butt like that." Awesome. Also, the reunion? Disappointingly nothing like Romy and Michelle's. :(
    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home