tangentwoman

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Drunk with power

A couple of years ago, I was working on this big campaign where we were working with a handful of celebrity types to do public service announcements and be spokespeople and stuff. It was very exciting to me, particularly when I got to go to Hollywood for a taping with a couple of TV stars (thanks again, Minnams, for making sure I was appropriately dressed for the occasion -- I love having a stylist), who were lovely and gracious and posed for pictures with me as I giggled away, totally starstruck and stammering like an idiot.

But what struck me was how bitchy their assistants were. I understand that they have to protect their peeps, and that everyone wants a piece of the celebrities, and it must be stressful work with long hours and relatively low pay, the trade-off for the glamour of it all. But when the third assistant to a TV actor has HER assistant place her calls for her and then say "Please hold for Bitchy McBitchypants"? Not cool. Especially when the actual celebrity, when participating a conference call where one is asked to announce oneself when joining the line, announced his OWN name, clearly having place the call himself. Which I thought was just so cool...again with the giddiness of a star being just a normal person.

All of this sprang to mind this morning when I returned a work call to a person I don't know very well. The person who answered the phone couldn't find him, so she sent me to his voicemail, where the outgoing message was recorded not by the actual person, but I guess by his (female) assistant. Which is just weird to me, and a little pretentious -- it's not like he's the president or something, and even then I think I'd think it's a little obnoxious. I still feel weird having my assistant answer my actual phone for me when I'm not at my desk, so I guess I have a bit of a skewed perspective, but my immediate reaction was "Wow, I bet you make her fetch your coffee, too." Which drives me bananas.

It's 2005, people. Learn to use your voicemail, and leave your own message. The Judgers of the world will love you for it.

1 Comments:

  • I used to experience that a lot with lawyers. I chalked it up to them not being technologically savvy enough to figure out HOW to leave their own voicemail greetings. It is probably just sheer laziness though.

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home