tangentwoman

Friday, May 13, 2005

Toilet technology

The Smelmooo's post on restroom etiquette, as well as my vast experience this week with public restrooms in D.C., has got me thinking about a similar issue, related to technology rather than human behavior.

Those toilets that flush automatically? Suck. Almost without exception, in my experience anyway, they flush before I'm done, or not until I'm already out of the stall, which in both instances means that I've manually flushed anyway, so two flushes instead of one. I'm not really sure if the primary goal of the manually flushing toilet is to conserve water or simply to ensure that the waste is actually flushed, but it's sort of failing on both counts there.

I do love the automatic faucets in public restrooms, because boy those faucets must be filthy, and although I can flush with my foot (although not with those damn automatic flusher toilets, because they just have that little button, so strike three on trying to improve the restroom experience through automated flushing), and push the paper towels down with my elbow, and turn on the faucet with a paper towel (yes, true germophobe and proud owner of a degree in public health), it's nearly impossible to find a good way to turn OFF the faucet without touching it or wasting a bunch of water. I feel like I need to write a letter or something, but I don't really know to whom; is there an Association of Public Restroom Suppliers or something?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home