tangentwoman

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Aaaaaand a few more tips

I'm still getting resumes for my open position, so I'll share a few more tips for job-seekers. Lucky you!!

-- The last five minutes of an hour-long (first-round!!) interview is NOT the time to say, "So, yeah, one more thing: what's the timing of your decision about a candidate? Because I've actually accepted another position, and I'm supposed to start in 10 days. But, I really think this job would be great, and I'd take it if you could make me an offer next week." Thanks, lady, for wasting our time. (Note: this strategy is actually quite effective in the short-short-short term. My colleague and I who were doing the interview immediately started considering whether we could accelerate our interview process and make a decision, because of course we wanted her!! No one else should be able to get her! But then, of course, five minutes later we came to our senses, and realized that we'd felt sort of lukewarm about her anyway, and that we didn't really want to hire someone who'd be so quick to renege on an agreement to take a position.)

-- Unless you are seeking employment as a cartoonist, or maybe a circus clown or something, under no circumstances should your cover e-mail be written in Comic Sans MS font. Seriously?! You are an adult. Snazz up your signature to look like it's written in cursive, if you must, but please, please do not write your entire cover note in anything but a standard font. What's next, wingdings? Yeesh.

-- Don't ignore the process, and don't lie about it when I've caught you doing so. "Hi, I found your direct e-mail address online, and I'm wondering if I should just send you my materials here, because when I sent them to the mailbox you said to, I didn't get a reply, so let me know!" "Uh, yep, no need; did you not get a reply saying we'll be in touch if you're a fit?" "No, I totally didn't get that!" Yes, you did.

-- Don't misspell my name. "Dear Ms. Targent, Did you get my resume that says I pay impeccable attention to detail?! Sincerely, Not So Much."

That is all. I seem to have a few good candidates in the mix now, so I'm hoping that there'll be a real winner in there. Fingers crossed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home