tangentwoman

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Back to reality

I didn't hear about Ted Kennedy's death until Thursday evening. It was that kind of a vacation. I didn't even realize how far removed we were from reality, at least for part of the trip -- no phones, no email, no internet, no TV, no newspapers -- until, driving up to our last stop on Thursday, I turned on my Blackberry and scrolled past a "breaking news" from Politico or Roll Call or somewhere telling me where he'd be buried. And I actually said aloud, "Wait, that seems kind of crass, to make and announce that decision now." And then it took me another couple of minutes to process, and to find the earlier breaking news alerts announcing his death.

I knew it was coming, obviously, but the news still made me sad. About a week before Senator Kennedy fell ill last spring, I went with a couple of middle school kids from Massachusetts to meet with him in D.C. He only had a few minutes to spend with us, but he was so kind, gracious and focused; he brought his dogs to meet the kids, and he listened to their stories, and accepted with appreciation a t-shirt they'd made for him. I was back in D.C. the day that Senator Kennedy came back to cast a critical vote on Medicare, and I really believed that he'd be wheeled in on his hospital bed to pass health reform this year, if that was what it took. I don't know what will happen now -- I am still getting caught up post-vacation -- but I hope that the good senator is resting in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home