tangentwoman

Monday, March 16, 2009

Not close to 101 in not close to 1001

So, I'm more than a year late, but I'm still making some progress on my list. I'm done with the bolding and the note-taking on the actual list, but there are a handful of things that I'm still glad to be pursuing and crossing off, because they're still important to me. And maybe I'll eventually get to making another list. But in the meantime:

15. Run in a 5K or a 10K. No, really. RUN. Preferably for a good cause. It's not done yet, but I'm registered for a 5K on April 25th. I feel like I got a little bamboozled, because I thought I was signing up for a charity run for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, which I why I signed up for this race and not one at a local winery that allows you to run with your dog (that's another blog, a recent attempt to go for a run with Tucker in tow). But it turns out that it's "in partnership with," or something, as opposed to a fundraiser for, the organization. Oh well. I may still do my own personal fundraising, although I think people might think that's sketchy.

57. Sing karaoke in public. Ooooh, I didn't even remember I had this one on my list! But I totally did this! And in front of about 100 of my co-workers and their dates, at our office holiday party last month. I pretty much just bounced around mouthing the words, but I stood up there for two group songs, including "9 to 5," which has more words than you might realize.

81. Track down my friend Jamie and reconnect with him. I just did this in the last couple of weeks, because I discovered that he's a finalist for a White House fellowship, so I was able to track him down through an old email address to congratulate him. Even better, although he's been living in Belgium for several years, he has interviews in the States next week for the fellowship, so we're having dinner on Monday. I'm very excited. I have found plenty of old friends and acquaintances through Facebook, some of whom I am happy to connect with, others who I'm lukewarm about, but when I was going through all of my cards and letters and stuff from high school during the Great Spring Cleaning of 2008, I remembered just how good a friend Jamie had been to me and how much I missed him. So I'm really looking forward to catching up, hearing about his travels abroad and his new fiancee.

99. Donate blood, which I haven't done in ages, despite knowing how important it is and once upon a time being a regular donor. Oh, another one I'd forgotten! I had tried to donate a few times last year, and kept getting turned away because I had low blood pressure. But this weekend, I was a robust 104/70 and finally was able to donate. The Smelmooo and I went together, and you would not believe what a fast bleeder he is. I was totally talking smack as we were getting ready to go in, because back in the day all of the blood drive staff would marvel at how quickly I got rid of my pint, but not this time. He started after me and finished before me; I think it was a total of six minutes for him, start to finish. Extraordinary. I'm still licking my wounds.

Unrelated to the 101 in 1001, I'm feeling more and more like I need to abandon Facebook, preferably in search of a different site that is unknown and unknowable to my parents' friends and to undesirable co-workers. Are any of my five readers on the cutting edge of social media? Can you please hook me up with the next frontier?!

2 Comments:

  • i'm hardly on the cutting edge, TW, but lots of smart people i know seem quite taken with twitter. i don't really know about that, but it's a suggestion.

    By Blogger m, at 3:23 PM  

  • and kudos on your 101 in 1001. i won't even get half done by september. also, i would love to do karaoke with you. i actually once had a dream that we did a duet of "cruel to be kind" a-la letters to cleo. it was a fun time!

    By Blogger m, at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home