tangentwoman

Monday, December 15, 2008

D.C. in December

I had had a sizable hiatus from my D.C. travel, for a few weeks because I had a gazillion things going on in the office, then because there wasn't much I could get done post-election, then again because there was too much going on back home. Today, I got back into my usual routine: stop at 7-11 for breakfast, newspapers, drinks; hop on the 5:58 a.m. down; 6:10 p.m. return. Tomorrow I have to go back in the afternoon, for an overnight visit that will also entail six hours on a bus schmoozing with Hill staff. It's going to be a long week.

Anyway, I hadn't been down since the Capitol Visitor Center opened a couple of weeks ago. I don't particularly care about the CVC itself, although I'm sure it's interesting and all that, but I am quite excited that the construction is done, because I now can take a more direct route between the House and the Senate. It's the little things, really.

But today, we tried to walk across the Capitol area, and ended up having to take the long way around, because they're setting up for the inauguration. Which was exciting to see, and is probably the closest I'll come to being at the inauguration. It is just going to be nuts. Part of me would love, love, love to be there; most of me will be much happier watching it on TV. I keep telling my friend who has a one-bedroom apartment in a somewhat shady part of D.C. that he should post an ad on Craigslist to offer someone his couch for a thousand bucks a night, and see if he gets any takers. I bet he would.

It was good to be back on the Hill -- I love being there during December in an election year, when all of the insanely well-orchestrated office moves take place, when people have their chairs and desks and computers and framed photos out in the hallways with giant DO NOT REMOVE!!!!!!! signs taped all over them. I love the holiday cards that members of Congress display in their reception areas; I love the carefully-chosen, locally relevant ornaments they hang on their Christmas trees. I loved how busy and energetic it felt, despite it being the first day of recess in what people initially thought would be a long, quiet lame-duck session. There's excitement in the air.

On my way back to the train station, I again walked past the inauguration site, this time in the dark, and the Christmas tree was all lit up, and the Capitol was all lit up, and it was breathtakingly beautiful. It filled me with hope.

I'm sure I'll soon be back to being cynical; and focusing on how taxing it is to schlep back and forth all the time; and bitching about how I have to half-run to the train station, in the 60-degree weather in the middle of December, carrying my coat and my suit jacket and two work bags; and how I have to change my ticket at the station, which means I don't have time to get dinner, so I end up eating Entenmann's cookies for dinner on the train, and I never got to eat lunch, and now I have a total sugar hangover.

But for now, a positive and hopeful attitude, gratefulness for a job that feels meaningful, and excitement for what lies ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home