tangentwoman

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Life imitates art

The other night, I was half-watching an episode of Dead Like Me (which is a really good show, by the way, and now seasons 1 and 2 are both on DVD) where Millie/George, the main character, is charged with interviewing three candidates for a job.

The first is a guy with irritable bowel syndrome who farts through the entire interview, without acknowledgement or apology, until Millie/George calls him on it. The second is a guy from Chechnya who escaped war and torture and just wants to work so he can put food on his table. The third is a woman who'd taken 10 years to care for her aging parents, and she's desperate to re-enter the workforce now that they've died.

All three of them really want the job and try various means of bribery to get Millie/George to pick them; the woman is particularly persistent, sending a pie and a bunny rabbit and an email with a picture of her and her dying father, with the caption "Do I have a job yet? Pop would be so proud" or something.

I wish I could go into more detail, but suffice it to say that I had to interview someone for a position yesterday, and I was quite certain I'd find a pie on my doorstep this morning. I felt bad for her, because she clearly was so desperate for the job -- although I'm always intrigued by people who tell me why they want to work at my organization, as opposed to why they want this particular job, or why they're qualified for it -- but she was frankly a little batty. Very sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home