tangentwoman

Friday, April 22, 2005

Lies and deception

Somewhere along the way, the Smelmooo and I instituted Pizza Thursday. At some point, as our metabolism slows, we may need to switch to Salad Thursday, but for now, Pizza Thursday.

Yesterday, it was Pizza and Wine Thursday, but I only had a glass and a half, at most. Nevertheless, I was exhausted and frankly a little buzzed. I was doing some work on the couch while the Smelmooo and Tucker happily watched Greatest American Hero between Survivor (bye, Janu!) and ER. Around 9:30, I lay down with my reading, and by 9:45 it had slipped out of my hands and I decided just to take a little 15-minute nap...

"Are you sleeping?"

"No."

"Yes you are. Get up."

(indignantly) "I'm NOT sleeping!"

"Sit up! It's the first new episode in a month, and you really want to see it."

"zzzzzzz...."

"Wake up!"

"I'm SO not sleeping!"

I don't know why I'm like this. I'm obviously sleeping, or on the brink, and it's obvious to everyone, even the dog, that I'm sleeping. I don't know why I can't just admit I'm tired, hit "record" on the VCR -- or skip it altogether, given the quality of ER in recent seasons -- and haul my ass up to bed. It's the same when I'm drinking.

"Are you buzzed?"

"No."

"God, yes, you are! You're hugging everyone and your speech is simultaneously deliberate and slurred."

"Nunh-uh! I'm just haaaaaapy and I loooove you and I'm soooooooo glad we're friends and we sooooooooo don't get to see each other enough and DEAR GOD it's so freaking HOT! It is like a million degrees in here!"

"You are so drunk!"

"I am NOT." (stagger-stomps off to the bathroom)

What is up with that? I'm not fooling anyone, so why the lies?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home