tangentwoman

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub

Four years ago, I vowed that, even if it's the only thing left on the registry, I will not ever again give sheets as a bridal shower or wedding gift, because I discovered after my own bridal shower that the thank-you-note-writing is terribly awkward there. I generally like to give money for the wedding and fun gifts for the shower, especially if the couple's registered for things that I own and love, like an ice cream maker.

I was at a shower earlier this year at which one guest gave a cookie jar, and said that's her signature shower gift, always, for friends with even a bit of a sweet tooth. For a few days, I was enamored of the idea of having a cookie jar, and then quickly reversed myself on that, because we have enough crap in our kitchen, both kitchenware and junk food, without another non-necessity cluttering it up more and making us fatter.

Anyway, I'm missing my cousin's bridal shower next month because we're heading back to the Outer Banks (I know you're all excited for the return of daily vacation blogs!), but I was just looking at her registry online, and was delighted to see that she's asking for a waffle iron, and that it's still available.

But I kept scrolling, just to see what else was on the list, and discovered that they have also registered for a bathroom scale. If we were closer (I have tons of cousins, and she and her brother are pretty much the only ones even remotely close to me in age, but I think in part because we have such a huge immediate family, we just never spent much time with extended family), I think I'd want to get it for her as a jokey gift, just because I'd enjoy the thank-you note:

Dear Cousin Tangent,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful shower gift. Fiance and I are doing tons of emotional eating as we deal with all of the stress of wedding planning, and we'll be sitting on our asses and drinking a ton on our honeymoon, so the scale will come in super-handy to help us get back into shape when we return. So nice of you to think of us and our expanding waistlines!

We missed you at the shower; hope to see you and the Smelmooo at the wedding!

xoxo
Cousin Bride

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home