tangentwoman

Friday, March 17, 2006

How'd that happen?!

Every once in a while, it hits me that I'm a grown-up, with a husband and a house and a job and a dog, and I think, "Holy crap. How'd that happen?!"

It's not in a bad way that I think this; I'm really happy with the life choices I've made, and I'm not lamenting my lost youth or anything. I just don't really think of myself as a grown-up. And then, on a day like today, it hits me like a ton of bricks.

I'm working from home, which I love on a day when I have hardly any meetings and tons of writing to do. But my primary reason for working from home is that I was waiting for our new washing machine to arrive. And it's now installed, and I'm running an empty load to get any residual gunk out, and I'm disproportionately happy about this shiny new appliance in our basement, and it makes me feel just like a 1950s housewife (what was that movie with Julianne Moore where she enters all the contests? Oh, it was like "The Contest Winner from Sherwood, Ohio" or somesuch. Like her, even though I didn't see the movie).

In addition to the washing machine, we're also having like 5 contractors come by today to give us quotes for siding the house. Which is such an expensive endeavor that I almost feel like we may as well just buy a new house, but that's not a particularly grown-up attitude.

So anyway, I like life in our little suburban town; I like being married and having a dog; I like that I work, even though I don't like my job right now nearly as much as my husband or our house or our dog. But my perception of people generally who have all of these thngs doesn't match my perception of myself, which is that I'm pretty young and figuring things out as I go and basically faking the grown-up thing as best I can. But you know, the glee over the washing machine and the expense of the siding make me feel a heck of a lot closer to the real thing.

2 Comments:

  • It's The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio and its sitting on my coffee table as we speak! Happy washing!

    -Shari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:07 PM  

  • For me, it's the organization of paying bills and filing and keeping track of finances that makes me feel like such a grownup. The sad thing is, it's almost to the point of enjoying it because I DO feel like a big girl.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home