tangentwoman

Monday, March 06, 2006

I'm getting dumber

This isn't even a usual, "I'm dumber for having watched Flavor of Love," kind of comment. I think I'm actually getting dumber as I get older. To wit:

1. My parents came down for lunch on Saturday, ostensibly so my dad could help us with our taxes, but really he just flipped through our folder of documents to see that it included all of our stuff, and then he took it home with him to do on his own. I don't think our taxes are particularly complicated this year -- last year, yes, with selling the Smelmooo's place and buying ours and getting married and all -- and we probably could've done them ourselves pretty easily, but I sort of like this tradition with my dad (who likes to flex his accountant muscles every now and then), and they hadn't been to our house in ages, and they were happy to spend time with us. And they loved that we cooked for them, and my mom made a big fuss over how good it was for us to make a nice lunch, but when I pointed out that my mom's made more meals for me than I can count over the years, she said, "Huh. I guess you're right," and that seemed to make her happy, as well.

So everything was going swimmingly until dessert and coffee time. I don't drink coffee; neither does the Smelmooo. We have a coffee maker for guests, but usually they just make it themselves because we figure they're better at it. But I didn't want to ask my dad to make his own coffee when he was already doing our taxes for free, so I followed the instructions about the proper coffee-to-water ratio and hoped for the best.

And then it seemed like nothing was happening -- the On light went off, and there wasn't any noise, but the machine was hot in the back, so I couldn't figure out whey it wasn't working.

And then I realized -- or, I suppose, the Smelmooo realized -- that I'd put the water in the wrong part of the machine, so it wasn't going through the filter into the carafe, because I'd in fact put it directly into the carafe.

My dad and the Smelmooo were mocking me to no end, and my mom reflexively gave the stern, "Hey!!" that comes out whenever someones picking on someone she loves. And then we all looked at her like, "Come on -- she put the coffee directly into the carafe. She deserves it!" and finally even my mom allowed herself a laugh at my expense.


2. During a heated and almost-interminable game of Trivial Pursuit '90s edition on Saturday night, the Smelmooo and I got a question about the former television star who ended up being in Old Navy ads during the '90s. To which I blurted out, "Morgan Freeman!" Luckily, we had generous competitors who accepted Smelmooo's correction to that one.

3 Comments:

  • Morgan Freeman? Hee! Isn't it Morgan Fairchild??? Its OK, my first instinct was to say Fran Drescher.

    -S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:45 AM  

  • Being non-coffee drinkers, we totally sympathize. Here's a quick one to make you feel better. At a family gathering everyone decided to try out different flavored teas from a gift basket. After going around the table discussing the different tastes, we came to my dad. He said that it was good and really liked it. Too bad he was drinking plain hot water...totally forgot to add the tea bag and was drinking out of a dark mug and never noticed. :)
    -Leslie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 PM  

  • We decided to get rid of the whole "how do you make coffee?" question when we moved back up to Jersey by throwing out the coffee maker. I decided not to have coffee in my house for the one person a year who needs their morning coffee. That's why the world made Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts.

    By Blogger KARCHAMB, at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home